We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Belated Trip Report

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape May Point, New...
reviews: 26
Very Belated Trip Report

The past three weeks have been "interesting" to say the least with Hurricane Sandy and the after effects, so I am very late with this report and my memory ain't what it used to be but here goes...

Literally as soon as DH dropped me off at PHL airport, I got a text message from USAirways that my flight was delayed. I mean, I could still see DH driving away. Oh well. I made the best of the delay by having dinner at Legal Seafoods. This is actually a great restaurant and the waiter tried his best to get me to have their oysters but since I was waiting on Drago's I said no thanks. I did indulge in some wonderful top necks on the half shell. I have to say we in the northeast do clams as good as NOLA does oysters. I had a dirty martini as well in order to get my liver ready for Nawlins :)

Cape May Point, New...
1. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

The flight eventually left about an hour late. As always, I arrived just in time to miss Drago's. Oh well. Quick check in at Harrahs, unpacked and took a walk down Fulton Street to Ernst's for a nightcap. The next morning I was the first customer in Drago's at 11 am and enjoyed my chargrilled oysters and a nice chat with the bartender as always. Then I boarded the Riverline street car. We had the nicest driver ever, anywhere! He patiently explained the different fare discounts to the many seniors waiting to board, had everyone laughing, was very kind to a passenger needing the wheelchair hoist, and we were off. It was a beautiful day. I got off at the last stop and made my way over to EGN to meet up with the Sistas. Realizing EGN was closed, I went over to the Provincial to try to find them. The lovely woman at the front desk directed me to the courtyard where I encountered the Sistas along with Fitch and Izzy. What a treat to see you all! We hoofed it over to Pat O's where I enjoyed my first Rainstorm. Very easy going down, and very fuzzy standing up! The Sistas were kind enough to show me their lovely room with balcony. After a nice visit I was off to Red Gravy to meet Ro and Lou for the walk down to Lafayette Square for the Rebirth Brass Band concert.

Cape May Point, New...
2. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

As always, a great free show with a wonderful appreciative crowd! I had a po boy from one of the vendors (I think it was Squeal), it was delicious and only $5. The proceeds went to the Food Bank. We were able to locate Fitch and Izzy (thank goodness for texting!) and the 6 of us enjoyed the music and some cocktails and dancing before calling it a night. I walked back to Harrahs and stopped at the Moonwalk to look at the river, it was another beautiful evening.

On Thursday we had a nice M & G at EGN where I enjoyed beef fajitas. I am not a fan of Mexican food primarily because of my pepper allergy but these went down smoothly with no "after effects". I spent the afternoon at the French Market and just wandering the quarter before enjoying a wonderful dinner at Red Gravy. I had loin of pork with home made applesauce. It was absolutely outstanding and reminded me of my Mom's cooking, which is the highest compliment I can pay to anyone. I just missed Lilidalia and her DH. After dinner I walked back to Harrahs and again went to Ernst for some cocktails and conversation.

On Friday

Cape May Point, New...
3. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

Friday was my last full day as my flight left at 7 am Saturday. I hate those flight times but the fare is substantially lower and any flight time is better than no flight time! Friday afternoon I walked into the Funky Pirate and was delighted to finally meet KCK and her DH, as well as Lilidalia and her DH. I REALLY loved Mark Penton's music. Great stuff. What a talented trio! It boggles my mind that you can sit there and listen to such great music all for the price of an inexpensive drink. One of the many things I love about NOLA! After a couple of hours of hanging out, it was time for me to return to the hotel and pack up. But I couldn't resist hitting up Besh Steak for a late meal and some cocktails at the bar. And some good conversation with my bar mates.

At 5 am I left for the airport :( Of course the flight home was on time. I had no idea at the time but my little trip to NOLA was to sustain me in the difficult weeks ahead. The day after I came home, Sandy started her deluge. We lost power that Monday (and had no power for 12 days thereafter), had no cell phone signal, no water, no heat. Finally on Thursday I was able to travel to our beach home which was blessedly undamaged. On the way down I lost my front crown. I looked like a jack o lantern. Oh well, it was either a new roof or a new crown. You just KNEW this storm was gonna cost you money somewhere!

Now that things have returned to almost normal, I am dreaming of my next trip which I HOPE will be in January. I want to thank all of the TA folks I had the pleasure of meeting on this trip. We really have a great bunch of people on this forum. Hope to see you again soon!

New Orleans...
reviews: 36
4. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

I hope you took my advice and showered with a friend!! I'm so happy the Cape house is okay! Lou and I thought of you often during the days following Sandy. xoxoxo

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
5. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

It was soooooo nice getting to spend some more time with you TakeMe, and we were really happy you got to meet our beloved Fitch & Izzy while you were at it! Had to take you up and show you our room at The Provincial! You always like to show off things that your proud of! Glad you enjoyed your first rainstorm at Pat's Those things do go down WAY to easy because they taste so good!!!!! I still have my hurricanes, but I love the rainstorm!

Sounds like you had a good time at the concert too! At least you got to meet up with Vera, Lou, Fitch, & Izzy again and have some good food in the process!

So you finally got to meet KC, DH, Lilli, and her DH! Aren't they just a bunch of wonderful people? God Bless Trip Advisor for all of us getting to know each other. And I agree--to be able to enjoy all of that good music for the price of a drink...fantastic!

Hopefully you're getting more back to normal now after Sandy. The whole area up there is still a mess and I really feel for those folks. Soooooo happy your beach house was okay! Hope you get to go back to Nola in January! Have a toast to us if you do! XOXOXOX

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
6. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

Glad to hear you're doing ok and life is getting somewhat back to normal. And after all that, you deserve that January trip. Book now!!

Kansas City
reviews: 4
7. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

Love the trip report. We sure enjoyed meeting you too. Hope to do it again ASAP. Glad you escaped the worst of that terrible storm (whose name should not be mentioned), and are doing OK.

When is your next trip planned?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 11
8. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

Great TR - glad you had such a good time.

Also very glad to hear that you came out of the storm mostly intact. It was tough for everyone - 12 days without power is no joke!

Start planning that next trip and i know you will feel better.

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

AC, it's ALWAYS great to see you again! Sorry you missed breakfast with all of us at Red Gravy...but we all know you're not an early riser! :) So glad you had a break before the S-storm (who's name shall not be mentioned!:)

And SO HAPPY AND THANKFUL that you and your home came thru it all intact!

10. Re: Very Belated Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013