We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little sightseeing before checkin

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indian River...
reviews: 24
A little sightseeing before checkin

We will be driving in from Florida December 26 and would like to incorporate a little sightseeing before we check in at our hotel in the Quarter. Last year we did the tour of Oak Alley (my second visit), then went on to our hotel, which worked out well for us. Any suggestions that would more or less be on the way or in the general area?

My original thought was to do the tour of Destrehan Plantation (which I did already as well as the swamp tour), but would like to hear if anyone has another worthwhile stop that might be of interest to a couple 55+.

Thanks

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
1. Re: A little sightseeing before checkin

If you like plantations, check out the Laura plantation, just a few minutes from Oak Alley. The Laura was a French plantation, quite different from an English one like Oak Alley, and has an excellent tour.

Ga
reviews: 19
2. Re: A little sightseeing before checkin

I agree with Porelly.

Laura is quite different from both Oak Alley and Destrehan...the tour is a bit more personal, and the house much smaller. It was interesting to us that the Joel Chandler Harris "Br'er Rabbit" stories we've loved since childhood originated on this and other local plantations in the form of oral folk-tales from the West African slaves, which were passed along to Mr. Harris by his friend Alcee Fortier. The gift shop has a book of the original version of these stories by Mr. Fortier...we very much enjoyed re-visiting our childhood and reading about "Compair Lapin", AKA Br'er Rabbit :)

3. Re: A little sightseeing before checkin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 16, 2013