We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 5
Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Just coming back from a quick weekend in NOLA. We stayed at the Hyatt French Quarter. It was a great location and the hotel looks really good from the re-model. Very comfortable stay.

We started off with a drink and quick bite from Saints & Sinners. Nothing to really write about. Expensive drink and mediocre crab cake but wanted to check it out. I wouldn’t bother again.

We did GW Fins for dinner and it was outstanding from start to finish. The whole weekend was for our anniversary and GW Fins had some cute confetti and a special take home menu printed for us. We had the lobster dumpings – which were so delicious we ate them before we could even comment on them! Entrées were the sautéed John Dory – which was melt in your fantastic. And the Swordfish – cooked to perfection. The meal was delicious and the restaurant definitely lived up to my expectations. From there it was on to dance with the devil – aka Pat O’Brien. Great night!

The next day was brunch at Commander’s Palace. My husband had never been and he was so impressed. They really rolled out the red carpet (as always) and made us feel like they had opened that day just for us. The food seemed to just keep coming and the jazz was so fun. We spent over 2 hours just smiling and eating. Then it was just exploring the Quarter and shopping around. We had reservations at Muriel’s that night but were honestly so full from our brunch and the formality of it – we decided to for go and opted for a burger and a beer on Bourbon Street partly because the lure of college football was too great with all the TV’s in Bayou Burgers. And honestly – the meal was really good. Cold Abita in a frosty mug and a thick burger in melty cheese was just what we were craving.

The next morning was brunch at Red Gravy – which was the meal I most was excited about. We just had to wait about 10 min for a seat, which wasn’t bad. After experiencing all the wonderful service in the prior meals, it was a bit shocking to start hearing “no” as soon as we walked through the door. I had read so much about the Polpetta Omelet but was quickly told it wasn’t on the Sunday Brunch menu and I couldn’t get it. Ok – that was fine – there was a lot of other yummy looking choices. One table next to us had asked to split their check and there was a fuss about that with the wait staff. One person at the door told them it was fine but the waitress had a fit and called out the girl at the door loudly about it. Kind of a awkward moment in the dining for them and those around them. After seeing another table order the chicken and waffles – that was what my husband decided on. I chose the benedict. After the food came out – my husband got a leg and a thigh with his dish. He’s a white meat fan and had saw the other two tables get breasts with their meal so he asked if he could get white meat and was told they didn’t have any. So all in all – the food was good but a few of the circumstances didn’t leave me with that great experience feeling. I’d probably try it again but would be more than likely to try a different place first.

As always – can’t wait to get back to NOLA. Time to start planning the next trip!

Argyle, Texas
reviews: 62
1. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Enjoyed your report. We're going to NOLA over Christmas, and always dine at GW Fin's on our last night, glad it's still as good as ever.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 87
2. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

You had what I had the last time at GW Fins...lobster dumplings and swordfish...just great...too bad about the experience at Red Gravy..sometimes it helps to go to the top...verablue would have tried to make everything work out right as best as possible anyway.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
3. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Sounds like a yummy week-end (best way to describe it)

New Orleans...
reviews: 36
4. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

I'm so happy you came in , lanacmp. We began serving brunch 10 days after we opened back in 2010. It was important to me to serve different items during our brunch. I wanted brunch to have a menu all it's own. There are three items which feature the meatballs on the brunch menu. I make chicken and waffles only on the weekend. I have a finite number of white parts and dark parts. We start a weekend with 8 portions of each. I'm sorry we ran out of white meat before you had a chance to sample it. Split checks are not a problem if the server is notified before the order is placed into the system. There is no way to backtrack in the system without actually voiding and reringing sales. Unfortunately, with one terminal and the usual bustle of activity at the terminal, I don't permit the servers to void and rering sales. I do hope you come back. Ask for me, I'd love to meet you!

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 5
5. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Verablue - the food was yummy just as I had expected - no worries there. We certainly did not leave hungry. I think just an odd set of circumstances. It wasn't us that wanted to split the check - just the table beside us and we noticed it only because there was a bit of a commotion about it. It didn't affect us but I think the other patrons were taken back with the response from the waitress.

I will be back as I have to try this Polpetta omelet!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 60
6. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Lana--Once you try that Polpetta omlette you will be back again and again and again! I had it for the first time on my last trip and I CANNOT wait to have it again!!!!!!!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
7. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Funny, I was there on the same day, looked for the same dish (Polpetta - but forgot what its called and tried to explain to the waitress including using sign language) and we also asked for a split check. Sorry about the scene Vera. I assure you I normally never lie on the floor like that in protest.

BTW, we encountered many restaurants that serve certain items on certain days.. not unusual. The meal at RG was very good. Loved the sicilian omelette and the 'lost bread'. Once I found it it was excellent ;)

New Orleans...
reviews: 36
8. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

Who would have guessed that a meatball omelet would strike to the hearts of many??!! I'm actually working on a new menu ( a little late this year..I usually have a new menu for our anniversary...) and wondering if the polpetta should be on it every day. Ya know....if you play your cards right and say the words 'trip advisor and polpetta' in the same sentence, then ask for me...chances are I'll get the idea and will do everything I can to accomodate the request.

You know it's going to be on the menu for the 3rd annual M&G

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 60
9. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

ALL RIGHT Vera!!!!!!! That's what I'll be having at our 3rd M&G!!!!! I also think that the Polpetta should be on the menu everyday!!!!!! You just cannot deprive people of food that good! You rock!

Any chance of egg nog ice cream in October 2013?????????

Edited: 6:04 pm, November 20, 2012
Houston, Texas
reviews: 4
10. Re: Trip Report - Nov 16-18

VeraBlue- we are en route to Nola right now... ETA 8pm. I took Deny's suggestion and packed an empty corningware dish with lid so we can bring some meatballs back to Gouston on Friday. We for sure are planning on breakfast on our way out of town and will want a dozen or 2( as many will fit) meatballs to take home;) We've been talking about Red Gravy a good bit of the trip! Now, after reading this post, we're wondering what the chances of us getting the Polpetta omelette on Friday are? And we are seriously contemplating breakfast tomorrow too.... Just for those meatballs! Well have to see if we can convince the kids to forego Johnny's chicken biscuits though. If you could whip up some red velvet pancakes Red Gravy would for sure be a shoe in! So, maybe you'll see us in the mornin,g and if not, for sure Friday- christina