We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington
reviews: 1
5 days in New Orleans

Hi!

My friend and I are booked for 5 days at Hotel Dauphine in December. I thought it looked quaint. Does anyone know if this hotel is a good choice?

We're in our late 30's and don't always take the conventional route... i.e. I'd be open to staying outside the french quarter if anyone had any sweet recommendations other than the usual tourist traps? And I'd love to hear your top things to do and places to eat in New Orleans...

Missouri
reviews: 29
1. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

You made the right choice to stay in the French Quarter.

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-Peruse the art galleries on Royal Street.

-At nite, either watch or participate in the spirit of bacchanalia on Bourbon Street.

-As an alternative at nite, walk over to Frenchman Street to the jazz clubs.

-EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT at many of the dozens of superb dining establishments in the Quarter.

-SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP in everything from "touristy" shops to high-end places.

-DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK if that is your wont.  Lots of places and lots of different drinks.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-If you are active, take a bike tour or a kayak tour on St John Bayou.

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.  Be sure to ask more questions as you firm up your itinerary.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 92
2. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

Hoitel Dauphine should be fine..check out Mae Baileys bar..also take a look at the trip advisor things to do up on the left and utilize the search feature for a wealth of recent information.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
3. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

Dauphine Orleans Hotel is both well located and well thought of; it encompasses three different buildings, some favoring one over the anothers.

For your first visit you probably want to stay in the French Quarter. Part of the fun of New Orleans is you can walk to, or walk to public transit to, most all of the most popular attractions. If you are staying for five nights, branch out a bit to Uptown/Garden District, Faubourg Marigny (includes Frenchmen St.), Treme, and/or the Central Business/Warehouse/Arts Districts.

Early December is a nice time to visit. The French Quarter is gussied up for the holidays, and the weather, though sometimes a bit cool, is generally pretty pleasant.

Although there are certainly some tourist traps, many of the places popular with tourists are actually pretty cool.

Missouri
4. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

You should probably start a new "places to eat" thread with some specifics as to what you like. Same with "things to do", again giving some ideas about what you like to do.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
reviews: 89
5. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

Also a little research on this forum will bring up a whole lot of places to eat and things to do. Check out the top questions on the top right side.

Missouri
6. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

Places to eat in the French Quarter: neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/fqrestaur…

Wellington
reviews: 1
7. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

Thanks so much everyone! Love the suggestions and info you've given and will follow up those links... am feeling reassured about staying in the french quarter!

8. Re: 5 days in New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 16, 2013