We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
iowa
Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

We are taking my son and his girlfriend with us to New Orleans march 19-26. They are both 18 yrs old. They would prefer a "haunted" hotel but the only one I have seen is LaPavillon and it is going to charge us $25 a night to park the car? That is unbelievable! Any great suggestions on hotels? We are kinda picky but willing to sacrafice a little so we have more $$ to do things with. This is the girlfriend's 1st real vacation, her family hasnt been able to take vacations. I want it to be special for her. She just lost her beloved grandfather on Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

New Orleans...
1. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

Are you driving down from Iowa, or planning on renting a car after you've arrived?

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

Nearly every hotel will charge you $20+ to park the car.

If you're renting a car, don't. If you're driving, you'll have to pay unless you can find one of the few hotels that doesn't charge (Le Richelieu comes to mind) or stay outside the Quarter in a B&B with parking included.

Beware of street parking in the French Quarter. The "meter maids" are very efficient and will tow you in a New York second.

iowa
3. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

We are driving from Iowa, my guys think of it as an adventure. We normally fly everywhere, but my husband has never driven down south before so he wants to see it. Hotels, restaurants, fun things to do for 18 yr old music nuts would be perfect, thanks!

Birmingham
reviews: 1
4. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

You might want to check out Hotel Villa Convento. May not be haunted, but is reportedly the original House of the Rising Sun, a most intriguing historic and disreputable brothel. There is a ton of NO charm here, lovely courtyard where mornings feature awesome pastries from the Croissant d'Ore. The floorplans vary greatly so personal correspondence with the management could help customize. Still have a parking fee, but its less. (One other FQ hotel I know of w/o a fee is the Chateau Hotel which is also a possible choice) Both, and many others, will provide a unique experience.

If they like live rock music, I would recommend Checkpoint Charlies on Frenchmen Street.

Another way to add to the experience?...somewhere around Alexandria GET OFFA THAT INTERSTATE!..and enjoy some real cajun country via the backroads.

Lastly, no offense, but you might want to consider leaving that 'kinda picky' back in Ames, or Council Bluffs, or Moline or wherever...they dont call NO the 'Big Easy' for nothing.

MN
5. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

You will have to pay for parking pretty much anywhere in the Quarter, other than Le Richelieu. If you stay at Le Pavillon or any other CBD (central business district) hotels, try to find out from the concierge of the hotel or from the New Orleans Convention and Visitor Bureau the location of public parking lots. We drove down from Minnesota three years ago and paid $20/night for a week of parking at the Monteleone; we never moved the car during the week. We have flown down ever since, as a car really isn't necessary in New Orleans.

Be picky. It is your vacation. You are paying for it, and you deserve it. We are picky, and we have always received excellent service and bang-for-the-buck luxury in New Orleans, while staying at the more moderately-priced upscale properties such as the Hotel Monteleone and Le Pavillon.

I hope you all have a great vacation. Try to eat at Herbsaint, Muriel's, and Mr. B's Bistro while you are there!!!!

OKC
reviews: 1
6. Re: Help! Need great hotel and fun things to do! iMPORTANT

Iowagirl,

I think you should stay in the French Quarter and not LaPavillon for your first visit. I believe everyone would like it much better.

Sorry about the parking situation ($$), but there really is no way around that.

There are plenty of great places to stay in the FQ. You won't lack for fun things to do. Just step out the door and go where your feet lead.

Girlfriend will probably have a special time. Sorry to hear about her loss.