We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers checks

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newington...
Travelers checks

Do restaurants, bars and clubs take travelers checks in the french quarter and surrounding areas?

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Travelers checks

I, personally, HATE traveller's checks! The only place I've ever taken them was to Chicago, and more than half the places wouldn't accept them...and no bank would cash them coz I didn't bank with them...it was more trouble than it was worth. Cash and credit card...that's the ONLY way to fly!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
2. Re: Travelers checks

I also hate Traveller's Checks! They are nothing but a royal pain in the a$$!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Travelers checks

Travelers Checks are slowly becoming a thing of the past. It's becoming harder and harder to find a place that sells them.

North Carolina
reviews: 18
4. Re: Travelers checks

I wouldn't expect places in New Orleans to take traveller's checks--I'd be more suprised if they did than if they didn't.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 73
5. Re: Travelers checks

I agree...travelers checks are a thing of the past. I would be surprised if you find many places that take them. I would use a credit card, debit card or cash. The last time I can remember using travelers checks was in the 90's.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 16
6. Re: Travelers checks

Ditto all of the other posts, travelers checks are long dead. Over the years I have used travelers cheques many many times in New Orleans, but from the time of easy ATMs all of that has ended. If you are looking for a secure way to protect yourself while traveling, chaaaarge it! Do look at your receipts before you sign though, some places here do take advantage of the tourist trade. Enjoy your trip!

Toronto, Ontario...
7. Re: Travelers checks

I would avoid debit cards as well. If your card number is "captured", whoever steals it has access to all you accounts attached to it, and your bank will not be as helpful as a credit card company if it happens. Good point about checking the receipts, too, Dave!

New Orleans...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Travelers checks

Kitty, just genuinely curious....why would you be using trav checks? It has to be 30 years since I used them. I can see if you don't have a bank account or CC or don't want something showing up on a statement, otherwise I don't see much point in them these days.

Kansas City
reviews: 4
9. Re: Travelers checks

I have a $500 daily security limit set on my debit card and find it very convenient to use.

Toronto, Ontario...
10. Re: Travelers checks

the difference is, when using a credit card, you are making a "promise to pay" and if it's stolen and reported, charges will not go through. They can be stopped. With a debit card, the money is immediately taken from your account and can take MONTHS to get back, and that's only if the bank investigation goes in your favor.