We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

We are thinking of going to Galatoire's for lunch on Friday - which will be Good Friday. Any chance the wait will be a little less since most locals will have the day off for the holiday? I've seen some posts here where folks recommend getting in line at 9am!

Dallas, TX
1. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Oops - also meant to ask if anyone has a favorite wait person we should request? And sitting downstairs is preferred - right? Thanks again, everyone

Mississippi
reviews: 9
2. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

I always go around 11 AM. They open at 11:30. If you are out and about go by about 10:30 AM and check to see if there's a line. You can let someone stand in line while someone gets some cold drinks across the street. Ask for Richard to wait on you and sit downstairs. Try the oysters brochette. They also have a nice appetizer tray with several items on it. Enjoy your visit.

Dallas, TX
3. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Thank you so much Axle!

Mississippi
4. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Enjoy your visit LA Mom. The crab maison is nice. Get the fish special of the day broiled with crab meat. Richard's a great waiter.

New Orleans...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Thanks for the info, Axle. Soulcat and I are planning a lunch at Galatoire's for our last day in town in May (Friday 18th) and we were wondering what time to get in line. Since we wanted to see the Pharmacy Museum right before that and it doesn't open till 10.00, we were hoping that getting in line at 11.00 will be early enough - I guess we will chance that. I'm so much looking forward to finally finding out what that whole "Galatoires Experience" thing is all about. :-D

Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
6. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Ok..... 2 weeks ago we attempted Frifay lunch at Galatoires and it was ridiculous! I got there at about 9:30 and there were already 10-15 people in front of me. I stood in the hot sun sweating my butt off until they opened the doors at around 11:05. When I got to the door they asked for my name and if I was on the list yet in order to go in. When I said no, that I had been standing in line to get on te list I was informed that it was at least another 3 hour wait for a table! I was stunned and told him that I had been in line for an hour and a half and asked what time I would need to be in line in the future to be seated for Friday lunch without a 5 hour wait. He chuckled and said that people had been "camping out" since Thursay night ( I suspect they were paid bums camping) and that te Friday lunch list is usually completed by 7 am nowadays!

Sooooo...... I think the locals own Friday lunch and nobody is getting in! They have a scam system in place to ensure their spots every Friday and they waltz in around 11-11:15 tell them their name and head downstairs! We ended up eating charbroiled oysters at Dragos instead.

I was very disappointed because Friday lunch at Galatoires is something I've been wanting to do for about a year and and after several trips to Nola I thought this was going to be it. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a party that us visitors are welcome to attend!!!

Edited: 5:54 pm, March 31, 2012
Mississippi
7. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Sorry about that Lynch. I don't go to NOLA until I know it's not busy. If room rates are high I stay at home. Low room rates means not much is going on. I have been going there for 45 years. I have never experienced what you did but I know it happens. That's why I say go by earlier in the morning and see if a line is forming. If so let someone get in while the rest of the group strolls around the FQ. I have never been before 11 AM. But there are bad days. You hit a bad day. It's best not to go on Friday but I know visitor's would like to go then. Keep trying. It will get better soon.

New Orleans...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

So where do you find a reliable "paid bum" to stand in line for you?

dallas
reviews: 13
9. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

Good god, what happens at this restaurant on Fridays? Unless Brad Pitt is serving me, I can't understand waiting for 2 hours for lunch and then being told it will be another 3 hours.

Mississippi
10. Re: Galatoire's Friday Lunch-wait time?

It's a short wait most of the times. But Friday is the day locals want to go and they have a lot of pull. If you will check an hour or so before 11:30 to see if there's a line is best. If no line continue to stroll around the FQ. If there's a line building up get someone to stand in and go get drinks for everyone. Friday's are tough but you should have very little problems if you go around 11 AM if nothing's going on. This weekend is not the time. Now next Friday may be perfect. If it's too busy go to Brennan's. They will take good care of you.