We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new orleans post katrina

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
new orleans post katrina

hi, i visited new orleans last summer when i finished working at a summer camp. i stayed in the french quarter and had a fabulous time,particularly down bourbon street!i would really like to visit again this summer but was wondering what the after effects of katrina are like and what the atmosphere in the area is?thanks alot

Pensacola, FL
reviews: 3
1. Re: new orleans post katrina

The FQ is almost exactly the same. You have to get out of the Quarter a ways to see the effects of the hurricane. What I have seen is bad. I wouldn't recommend seeing it, the damage, that is unless you plan to help out. After seeing the damage, even after all the clean up thus far, it will make you want to help even more.

Arlington, TX
reviews: 1
2. Re: new orleans post katrina

I have to disagree slightly. We have been to New Orleans the past 3 springs, and this year was quite different. There were not nearly as many tourists, the resturants were not full strenth (if they were open), and the hotel we stayed at had been hit hard by FEMA. I love New Orleans, but we will not be back for a couple of years.

daytona
3. Re: new orleans post katrina

arlingtonTXguy Less people, ....... reduced menus to the best sellors,....FEMA,....you mean the blue tarps? There is now way I could skip a couple of years in NOLA! We were their for Krew De Vieux, The spirit lives and I want to be a part of it!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
4. Re: new orleans post katrina

I just returned from a St. Patrick's Day weekend trip and I would recommend visiting. Now more than ever, the city needs tourists, not people saying they will wait a couple of years. Of course it's a personal decision, but I am SO glad I went.

I noticed few differences in the FQ from prior visits. The streets were busy, the bars were hopping (well, it WAS St. Patrick's Day lol) and I had no service issues in restaurants or elsewhere to speak of. Some places are on limited hours because they can't get enough staff, but there are plenty of options to choose from.

Sunday around Noon I sat at an Irish pub across from Antoine's and watched the customers pouring into the place. They didn't seem to be hurting for business.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
5. Re: new orleans post katrina

I think it is important to remember that things have changed, perhaps permanently. While all of the major attractions, restaurants and bars have reopened (or soon will), many of the smaller places are gone as owners have resettled elsewhere or made career changes due to Katrina. It's a fact of life. There were always openings/closings here but Katrina accelerated the evolution process a bit.

Still, I think "smaller crowds" is the BEST thing about visiting now! The streets are far from deserted but you generally don't have to wait in line for drinks or restaurant tables!