We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants serving Alligator

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
reviews: 1
Restaurants serving Alligator

I've had alligator filet at Mulate's and bought it myself for grilling at home and do like it but haven't noticed it on the menu at many other restaurants in New Orleans. Does anybody have a recommendation on where to find it?

I did do a search but most of the "alligator" results were for tours or buying gator sausage.

Thanks in advance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
1. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Cochon has a really good fried alligator dish.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 90
2. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Also Gator Me Crazy at 819 Decatur..relatively new place.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
3. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Mulate's has alligator and a lot of cajun dishes.

http://www.mulates.com/

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
4. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

And Gator Me Crazy has gotten some pretty good reviews too.

chicago
reviews: 29
5. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

The Praline Connection in the Marigny serves alligator on a stick.

Bangor, Maine
6. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Thanks for the suggestions, I've added them to our trip plans.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 15
7. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

The traditional New Orleans cooking style is Creole. Alligator is not a Creole dish. The restaurants that serve it do so largely to cater to the tourist trade and it will almost always be fried. This even holds true for the restaurants in southwest Louisiana. When I've eaten alligator in the homes of friends (almost always alligator hunters), it's usually prepared in a way that will tenderize it and remove much of the distinctive taste. Smothered down in a tomato gravy is my favorite.

Bangor, Maine
8. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Yea, I've found it quite hard to find around town, and the creole/cajun tradition would explain it. I have had the alligator at Mulates before, where's it marinated & grilled, and that was quite good. Now with the other suggestions I'm looking forward to trying out some other variations. The tomato smothered actually sounds really good, sort of a sauce piquant?

Mississippi
reviews: 9
9. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

Mmmmmmmm................Tomato gravy sounds good. We have some wild game that our hunting friends gave us. Time to get the big pot out.

Philadelphia
reviews: 2
10. Re: Restaurants serving Alligator

http://www.labayourestaurant.com/ serves a fried gator dish (think chicken fingers/calamari style) that's pretty good and since its right on Bourbon st. you can enjoy the colorful scenery while you eat. The best thing about this place is that the kitchen is open late and they have a lot of seating available. I wouldn't classify the place as a great restauraunt, but the location can't be beat and after partying for several hours it makes a good rest stop to recharge.