We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabulous Mardi Gras!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Fabulous Mardi Gras!

We returned last week from Mardi Gras and it was exceptional! We stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans and had a balcony room. Lovely as always....the hotel was a peaceful escape from the fun on the street. They were only about half staffed but still provided the best of service. All employees were so friendly and welcoming.

We loved the parades...the ZULUS were spectacular and priceless! Soulful Warriers indeed! The party on the street was amusing as could be and the local political costuming was great! It was an incredible event for the tourists and the locals.....so glad we came for this Mardi Gras......it had been 9 years since we came for the Carnival.....it will not be that long ever again. New Orleans has a great history and will be restored. The people are so special....we enjoyed them all.

Thank you New Orleans.....I hope the next administration is more responsive to helping the city rebuild and keeping it preserved!

Margaret & Bob

Nirvana
1. Re: Fabulous Mardi Gras!

Littlefeet,

So nice to read your compilmentary post about my native city. I too attended Mardi Gras this year and was quite impressed with the people turn out. I felt compelled to return and show my physical and financial support to my home town after a three year absence.

Although the French Quarter and CBD area seemed to be running on all cylinders, I drove through the Lakeview and Gentilly neighborhoods which were devestated by hurricane Katrina and little has changed since that horrific day.

New administration, more tourists, return of ex-pats, I don't have the answer but testimonials like yours can only have a positive influence on bringing New Orleans back to life.

Daveaux

Nirvana
2. Re: Fabulous Mardi Gras!

Littlefeet,

So nice to read your compilmentary post about my native city. I too attended Mardi Gras this year and was quite impressed with the people turn out. I felt compelled to return and show my physical and financial support to my home town after a three year absence.

Although the French Quarter and CBD area seemed to be running on all cylinders, I drove through the Lakeview and Gentilly neighborhoods which were devestated by hurricane Katrina and little has changed since that horrific day.

New administration, more tourists, return of ex-pats, I don't have the answer but testimonials like yours can only have a positive influence on bringing New Orleans back to life.

Daveaux

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Fabulous Mardi Gras!

Mardi Gras was indeed one for the ages. Great crowds that were well-behaved and a lot of positive energy from everyone involved. My family had a great time!

I think it will be years before Lakeview is "whole" again. FEMA and the Corps of Engineers still don't have the new flood maps available so it's very difficult for many people to decide whether to remodel or tear down/rebuild. While life is relatively normal in my part of the city (French Quarter) and Uptown, I know it's very challenging for many others.

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 1
4. Re: Fabulous Mardi Gras!

Mardi Gras was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! My group and I had such a good time. NOLA is known for being the Big Easy, but this time it seemed a little "easier", if you will. The resturaunts and bars were understaffed, but everyone seemed to know that and was content to just meet their neighbor in line while waiting. We even ended up combining parties with one group we met. The locals are extatic to see tourist there. The waits were never over 20 min.There were no problems with our hotel either (Chateau Hotel)and we enjoyed the impromptu parades going down St. Phillips. I am already making plans for next Mardi Gras and have a B'day party planned down there for Sept. (I might even slip in another trip during the summer)SO if you are planning on going....go,go,go. The atmosphere is unreal!!