We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 1
Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

Any info on what either of these are like would be great! Are they worth the steep price tag? Are both bring your own food and drink? Do they start very early in the evening? Around what time do the parades roll into the convention center? Would you have a better view of the parade at these events than on the street (provided you haven't staked out a front row spot on the street)?

Are they geared primarily young party people? I am is NOLA with my mum for Mardi Gras and thought this might be a fun way to spend an evening. She is in her 60s but very young at heart.

Thanks for an advice you might have for us. We can't wait for our first trip to NOLA and Mardi Gras!

1. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

Each year, my friend and I attend Orpheuscapade. In the past, it has been strictly bring your own food, but this year for an extra fee, they will cater food to your table. However, you can still bring your own food and drinks. Each table will have ice and soft drinks provided in your ticket price. I think Orpheuscapade is geared to all ages (more so than Endymion). It's a great way to experience a parade. The riders usually wait until they arrive at the convention center to throw all of their good beads and trinkets and in mass quantities! We usually arrive around 7:30-8 so that we can find our seats and take pictures. The time the parade rolls in depends on how quickly they can get through their route (hoping for no break down's!)! But, it is an incredible experience I highly recommend!

New Orleans...
2. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

How old do you have to be?

3. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

Although there is no age limit that I've seen or heard of, mostly only adults are in attendance due to the late night, alcohol and the heavy packs of beads being thrown at full force.

New Orleans...
4. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

There's no age limit, but neither party is for children, IMO. I also don't think I've seen anyone younger than 15-16 years old there. DrNOLA gave good reasons why.

Endymion gets pretty crazy and tends to be a younger, college party crowd, but either one is worth the experience. You can choose based on what location you'd rather party in (Superdome - Endymion; Convention Center - Orpheus) or based on who the celebrities are in attendance. It might be difficult to get Endymion tickets at this point unless you know someone selling theirs.

A bit of advice if you go to either one: Wear your formal wear but nothing you can risk getting ruined as the floors by the end of the night will be disgusting. I always leave with at least an inch of nasty liquid soaked into the bottom of my gown!

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 90
5. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

NOt for kids...maybe at Orpheus you might see some celebrities vs. endymion attendees..good advise about the floors...didn't have a gown problem (LOL) but had a lot of crap stuck to my shoes when I was a committeeman at a ball.

USA
reviews: 7
6. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

We are going to O, so excited!!! Anyone have advice where to get food from? Just the two of us but I'm sure we will make lots of friends!!! And about shoes, should I not do open toe then?

New Orleans...
7. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

I wear open toed shoes because they've been the best look for my gowns the last few years; however, by the end of the night I'm always in plastic flip flops. I come home with very nasty feet, but the good time is worth it. The heels are usually off before the parade is even close to entering the Convention Center anyway.

Other than being dressed up in black tie, it's not as "formal" as one might think it is. Anything goes on what kind of food and drink you want to bring with you. People will be all dressed up and dragging big rolling coolers behind them.

Johnson City...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

We are considering attending Orpheuscapade. Can we get a taxi to the convention center from the Hilton Riverside or just walk? And what time should we get there before the parade? Still trying to decide if its worth the price and time. There is so much to do!

New Orleans...
9. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

You can certainly get a taxi from the Hilton Riverside to the convention center. There is a taxi stand right outside the hotel. But with the street closures and traffic walking would actually take less time. The walk is not far and would even be reasonable in heels. It would probably be best to get there between 7:30 and 8. The parade will likely arrive around 9 depending on breakdowns and other unforseen holdups. I don't know if it is worth the price but it is certainly workth the time.

Chicago
reviews: 8
10. Re: Orpheuscapade or Endymion Extravaganza

Hi!

So thrilled to be able to say we'll be attending the Orpheuscapade!

I have a question that I hope you Mardi Gras vets can answer.

I bought viewing tix for the Orpheus parade before I decided to buy tix to the ball. Viewing stand is at Hotel Intercontinental. No refunds.

Is it possible to watch some the Orpheus parade at 444 St. Charles Ave. (at Poyras)

and then hi-tail it over to the Convention Center in time to watch the parade roll in?

THANKS in advance for your reply!