We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laura or Oak Valley

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island
reviews: 6
Laura or Oak Valley

Hi there,

We are down in NO at the end of the month and are hoping to do a plantation tour. Can anyone recommend either the Oak Valley or the Laura Plantation tour.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
1. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

Hey Shorethor--I have been to Oak Alley and the MOST spectacular thing there are the old, old trees. Laura has the old Slave Quarters that I know of, but I haven't been there. I love trees so I would recommend Oak Alley.

Louisiana
reviews: 27
2. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

My favorite plantation is Houmas House. Beautiful gardens and a wonderful tour. Many movies have been filmed there. I have heard that Laura plantation also had a great tour but the house itself does not look like a typical plantation. Oak Alley is a beautiful plantation and probably one of most famous. Take the river road driving tour and stop at the ones appeal to you. Have fun!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 16
3. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

If you're looking for magnificent plantation homes, Houmas House and Nottoway stand out from the others. Oak Alley has magnificent trees, but the house is rather ordinary.

http://www.houmashouse.com/

http://www.nottoway.com/

Edited: 11:43 pm, September 01, 2010
Portland
4. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

We rented a car and initially hit the Laura Plantation, but the tour was $17 to be able to see anything. and visually I was too impressed. We had heard, however, the tour knowledge was the highlight. Not to mention, I believe we met the only rude person was encountered in our stay in LA.

So we went down the road and were just awestruck by Oak Alley. Really can't beat walking towards the house through those trees. Once again, you have to pay to even be on the grounds. The tour was mediocre at best as the guide should be been playing Belle at Disney rather that talking about history.

We really enjoyed the drive from house to house and were ok with paying at OV.

Hebron, OH
reviews: 22
5. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

We went on a tour that took us to both plantations - it was very informative and good to see how different the two were from each other.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 47
6. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

I highly suggest doing both if you can. The Laura plantation is a Creole, working plantation with a great tour. The story of Laura is very interesting, last about 1hour, and they are the only plantation to still have the original slave quarters. It's quite the shock to see how small those houses really were, and 2 families had to share 1 space.

Oak Alley is what you picture when u say the word plantation: big old house with a wrap around porch, gorgeous gorgeous grounds, you can just pictures the family sitting on the veranda sipping a mint julip and looking down the oakalley. The tour itself is only a 1/2 hour, and you can't take pictures inside the house (you can at Laura). If the tour itself and the history is what interest you most, go to Laura. If you want to see gorgeous grounds, go to Oak Alley.

I did both and was glad I did. It's very interesting to see the difference between the 2, to see how a French Creole family and an English family lived back then. There are tour companies that go to both.

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

Porelly, Evergreen Plantation still has its original double row configuration of 22 slave cabins.

www.nps.gov/nr/travel/louisiana/eve.htm

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 47
8. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

Txs for the headsup Rod. I know that I'll want to visit another plantation someday (if ever I can convince somebody to come to NO with me), so I shall make a note of this.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 3
9. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

If you have the time, I recommend going to both. I have been to both twice, the first time before Laura burned down. I find the differences between the two very interesting and enlightening.

Add to the fact that they are less than a mile apart makes it quite easy to see both in a half day.

10. Re: Laura or Oak Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 02, 2011