We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

Hello..I'll be staying at The Whitney Hotel at Poydras and Camp.?

Is the hood safe at night?..walkable to the French Q...or is it a cab only hood. I'm hearing all types of things on safety and don't know what to believe.I've traveled all over but people make NO out like a big crime zone. Please advice

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

I think you've somewhat overreacting to what people are telling you. Most of the large hotels and most of the B&Bs in the city are in relatively safe areas. The really high-crime pockets of New Orleans are generally in areas not frequented by visitors.

The problem some people (including me) have with the downtown hotels is that the area is quiet at night. Not dangerous, just quiet. It's improved A LOT over the years, though, and you may find it to be a non-issue.

From the Whitney, walk down Camp or St. Charles directly into the Qtr.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
2. Re: Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

Poydras and Camp is a nice, easy walk into the French Quarter. I think the potential problem comes if you get caught up in the nightlife and try to walk back late after you have had more than a little too much to drink. I think that's when people are more likely to become a target for thieves.

So, my suggestion is if you are loaded, at least have the sense to take a taxi for the short trip back to the hotel.

A better suggestion is to stay right in the French Quarter. I have been preaching this on this site for awhile. Whether you are only in New Orleans to enjoy the nightlife of Bourbon St or whether you want to soak up the history and culture I believe you're New Orleans experience is more complete if you stay right in, not near, the French Quarter. If you are locked into the Whitney don't worry youwil stay have a great time in New Orleans.

NY
reviews: 2
3. Re: Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

We stayed at the Whitney last March. Had a very pleasant stay there and felt safe walking to the Quarter and back. Agree that it might be a good idea to take a cab back if you've had too much to drink.

P.S. For good breakfasts, there's a small hole-in-the wall deli on St. Charles (heading toward the quarter, right side) or take a walk down to Mother's (toward Harrah's on opposite side of the street) and have a great breakfast!

Los Angeles, CA
4. Re: Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

Thanky to all for all the good insights !

Los Angeles, CA
5. Re: Is Poydras and Camp sts. a safe hood?..near WHitney Hotel

Thanky to all for all the good insights !