We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kalamazoo, Michigan
reviews: 4
N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

It is a shame what happen last week. For once in history, the police of New Orleans were looked at as heroes for their (some of them) devotion to working thru the hurricane. Didn't take long for them to remind us that they are still the forces they have always been. I guess things are getting back to normal in New Orleans. It is sad...you would have thought the hurricane would have changed some people.

I still love the city and will go as much as I can. However, the police aren't helping the image of New Orleans right now. You would think they would be thinking about that at this time.

Do you think this has harmed tourism?

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
1. Re: N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

No, I don't think this will harm tourism. Eveybody knows these kind of cops exist everywhere because cops are people and these kind of people exist everywhere. Not all NO cops are like these guys, likewise, not all residents and visitors to NO are crazy party animals. There is no excuse for their behavior and I hope they receive the maximum punishment. I feel sorry for the good cops here that have lost homes and loved ones and have had to work under the most horrendous conditions immagineable.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 73
2. Re: N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

I agree with lovenola that it won't affect tourism. On the many many times that I have been to New Orleans, the police have been friendly and helpful. On two different occasions at Mardi Gras, we saw fights break out, and in both instances the police broke it up so quickly that you almost thought it hadn't really happened. Even during big events like Mardi Gras, JazzFest, French Quarter Festival, etc., we have always found the police to be very nice. Of course, we weren't causing any trouble either.

East Coast
reviews: 13
3. Re: N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

i agree w/ both posts above... had a similar experiance this year at Mardi Gras... some bloke tried to steal a handbag, right on Bourbon during the festivities, Fat Tuesday (was really physically rough with the woman he was stealing it from)... the NOPD undercover in the crowd were so fast and so effective, (without any unneccessary violence), that the crowd all around, and on the balconies started to applaud... You don't usually hear about that kind of stuff relating to the NOPD.

Plus, if you think for half a second about ALL the nonsense NOPD must have to deal with, being one of the party capitals of the world, it's amazing that they don't get more positive news coverage.

as Donny Osmond once sang: "Don't let [a few] bad apples spoil the whole bunch babe." NOPD has a tough row to hoe.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
reviews: 4
4. Re: N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

Sure is good to hear some positive stories. I guess I am a bit cynical because my hubby is a criminologist and all I really hear about is the corruption in the New Orleans police force. Yes, I know, there is corruption every where but stat wise....it is much worse in NO or has been in the past.

Thanks for the positive input.

Just thought it was really bad timing for New Orleans.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
5. Re: N.O> police - great PR for the much need tourism

Yes, sunrlb, I agree with you. The timing stinks. I join others in hoping the officers involved are properly reprimanded and/or prosecuted. I just heard about this today. Can't believe I didn't see it on "Airport CNN" or whatever news station was playing at Atlanta Hartsfield yesterday!