We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Decadence

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
Southern Decadence

Anyone know the status of the Labor Day weekend, Southern Decadence celabrations? Is the French Quater ok?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
1. Re: Southern Decadence

Now that I've seen some footage on the evening news, I don't think anyone will be worrying about Southern Decadence or anything else other than recovery operations for the next couple of weeks.

Although the initial reports I saw showed the FQ to be in pretty good shape, the city as a whole has really suffered a lot.

My personal take is that now is a good time to offer prayers and thoughts for those that lost their homes (and sad to say I'm sure some have lost their lives!) rather than worry about tourism.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 78
2. Re: Southern Decadence

Irishfan, since tourism is a major source of New Orleans' income, I must disagree with you. Although obviously they need time to clean up, I think the worst thing that could happen would be for their tourism industry to be affected for any longer than absolutely necessary. I also would like to know the status of the SD celebration if anyone knows of anything official. I was scheduled to leave on a cruise out of New Orleans on September 5th and heard from the travel agent today that the cruise will now be leaving out of Galveston rather than New Orleans. Most reports are that the French Quarter suffered relatively minor damage, and I am sure that they will want to be back in business asap.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 122
3. Re: Southern Decadence

I saw some interviews with the people who stayed in the French Quarters thru the hurricane. It seemed that many store owners stayed. They told the reporters they wanted to stay so they could start the clean up early, and get ready for Labor Day weekend. This is a big weekend for NO so if at all possible I believe they will be celebrations for SD. I think the main issue will be weather or not they get electricity to the FQ.

Maryland
Destination Expert
4. Re: Southern Decadence

I'm well aware of the significance of tourism to the economy. I still think it shows a lack of compassion, when there are bodies yet to be recovered, and over a million people without electricity, and no running water in the city, half of which is under water, to be asking "if the party is on" for this weekend.

Park Falls, WI
reviews: 4
5. Re: Southern Decadence

Personally, it annoys me when someone jumps all over someone else for simply asking a question. Last time I checked, this was a forum on TripAdvisor.com. The whole purpose of this site is to offer advice and information to prospective travelers.

Along with many others, my thoughts and prayers have been focused on those affected by Katrina. My checkbook is even a bit lighter after a recent donation to the red cross.

Even so, tourism *is* a very significant source of revenue to New Orleans. A lot of people had scheduled plans to the city over the next couple of months (including me). Inquiring as to whether or not travel is still possible doesn't mean these people lack compassion for those in suffering.....it simply means that we are trying to seek information which will let us know if we need to change our plans.

As to your question rainbaux....I don't know. Like others have said and as I've seen on the news, the Quarter seems to have been spared the worst. My guess is that shop owners are going to do their best at having some services available for Labor Day festivities....but just keep in mind it may not be as comfortable due to outages or damage which hasn't been repaired yet.

Eau Claire...
6. Re: Southern Decadence

Thanks Tarzanna! I was going to leave Wednesday morning for New Orleans. I am one of 125,000 people who planned to visit New Orleans for SD on Labor Day weekend. More now than ever they need to approximately $50,000,000 or so we will spend. I seen on the news that many French Quater business owners stayed to get a head start on the clean up, and get there places open for the weekend. I just want to know what I need to do about my hotel reservation. Maybe my room can be given to a local that has been displaced. I am so sorry for the people that have lost there lives or have damaged homes and businesses. They are in my thoughts and I will send some money to the red cross! SO MR. IRISHFAN, if the "party is still on" maybe I will party at night and help with the clean up by day, and load my car up with food and supplies for those in need!!! So While you set at home and type your replies and judge others, I will go and actually help someone in need, and party a little. :)

louisville
reviews: 1
7. Re: Southern Decadence

I ride in a major Mardi Gras parade every year and have a lot of friends in New Orleans- they almost all have evacuated and do not expect to be allowed back into the city for more than a few days. The latest message from the mayor reports 80% of the city flooded. The Twin Spans over the Pontchartrain are down. Damage is still being assessed and is major. Honestly, if it were me and I had plans for Labor Day, I would be changing my plans.

New Orleans will be back and open for business, and I will be thrilled when that happens. Right now I'm collecting clothes and supplies like diapers and toiletries, etc. to send back with my friends when they get to go home.

God bless the wonderful Crescent City and the people there who will work tirelessly to return this treasure of a town to us all. We love you, darlin's.

Maryland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Southern Decadence

It's not my intent to "judge" or "annoy" anyone. But hopefully to make you think a bit about priorities. I hope I've been successful at that as the news this morning makes it pretty clear that this city is not remotely ready to think about tourism.

Europe
reviews: 6
9. Re: Southern Decadence

It´s even worse: latest news here in Europe speak about water still rising in NO. FQ seems no so affected, but big areas of the city are under water, so the centric hospital thats flooded up to the first floor. They say that there will not be electricity for about a month at least, and there is already no drinking water. There is no way to go there, streets are flooded too. St. Bernard is completly under water. And so on. I think it is not the moment to speak about tourism, but only about how to help people there and how to help rescue teams which try to get out people in bad situation. There seem to be still many on the top of their houses waiting to be saved. So how can you think about parties when there are people in danger of their life there and a big mass has to be cleared up and lots of people will have no place to go for a while... Also, they say that nobody should return before a week has passed by... Good luck.

10. Re: Southern Decadence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:11 am, September 02, 2005