We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diversity Climate of New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 23
Diversity Climate of New Orleans

How diverse is New Orleans in terms of interracial unions, racial harmony, and people from other cultures? Is it still the good ole south or will I find a cultural mecca? Will I expect a cultural climate like in NYC, Miami, or Houston? Or am I kidding myself?

I will like to visit there, but I am concern about being around close-minded people or in a non diverse environment.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 6
11. Re: Diversity Climate of New Orleans

nem, a friend of mine just visited New Orleans and she is in an interracial (sp?) relationship. I've been telling her how great New Orleans is, but to be honest, she was a bit nervous because of perceptions she has about the South. She called me glowing yesterday telling me it was the best trip her and her honey had ever taken and that the people in New Orleans were so friendly, that she's counting the days until she goes back!

As I'm sure you know, if you're looking hard enough you can find a little bit of discrimination everywhere, whether you're black, white, hispanic, female, male, overweight, too skinny, etc. But the people of New Orleans are a warm welcoming bunch and as long as you go into it with a positive outlook, I know you will have an amazing time! Enjoy! :)