We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, FL
Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Hey everyone. It's our first time to Mardi Gras. We want to be close enough to walk to the action but far enough to sleep well! There are 7 of us from Miami and we need a nice, cheap place to stay. I was thinking JW Marriott on Canal, for $230 a night? (between 7 or 8 people it's cheap). Or Renaissance Pere Marquette? ANy other ideas? Thanks!

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Forget sneaking people into your room. The hotels give you wristbands based on the number of people registered. You can't get into the hotel (yes, they have security at the door) without a "registered guest" armband.

Mardi Gras isn't cheap but it's not as expensive as it used to be. Check hotels.com and some other sites. You may find 2 rooms that can accommodate all of you. Also, if you're not a rowdy bunch, a B&B (www.bbnola.com) may have a large suite or apartment.

Miami, FL
2. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

thanks for the info cajun. i was wondering, are all the hotels like that? if we get a hotel in the garden district, will it still be like that? how willing are people that are already leaving the hotel to sell their bands to others?

Destin, Fl
3. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

The bands that the hotels give you can't be taken off and put back on. they have to be ripped off.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Unfortunately, the previous poster is correct. You're expected to SHOWER with them still on. If you lose it, it's a big ordeal to get a new one through the front desk. At the Omni Royal Orleans, for instance, the security desk works the front door with a list of ALL guests registered into the hotel, not just the primary contact name.

Mardi Gras is not as busy as it once was. I'd use Priceline and try to get 2 or even 3 rooms for that same $200-250 a night.

Pensacola, FL
reviews: 3
5. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Some of the hotels have a more lax security at the door as you get farther away from the FQ. Some only require that one of your group shows the room key in order to enter. I would try the business district, still plenty close to walk. Still if you are willing to go $100 to $150 a night that should get you 2 rooms ($200 to $300 per night) on priceline. I've used it to get my room last year for $90 per night but I was willing to settle for a 2 1/2 star hotel. Still it was nice, clean room, average size, clean bath, etc, nothing great but then nothing bad.

Saskatoon, SK
6. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

I went two years ago, so I cannot speak for the security last year. However, when I went, one of the nights I crashed at my buddy's hotel room...I think it was the Hilton, but I can't remember...but anyways, security didn't stop us or anything. There was like 10 of us in the room that night.

But good luck...like I said, I don't know if things have toughened up or as other people have said, the further you get from the Quarter, the easier it is.

E-mail me if y'all wanna meet up for a drink! I'll be there the last weekend, Feb. 4th - Feb. 9th.

xanthuos@xanthuos.com

-Matthew

Chesterland, OH
reviews: 15
7. Re: Hotel ideas for 1st time Mardi Gras college students HELP!

Do they just do this wristband thing for Mardi Gras?