We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
reviews: 67
Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

We are planning a trip to NOLA in September. First we booked a couple of days in NYC. Here we take a rental car and will be driving the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mountains and the Natchez Park Trailway to New Orleans.

Our trip continous to along the Gulf of Mexico to Florida(Miami).

Being from Europe(The Netherlands), i was wondering which is the better (read: cheaper) place to do some serious shopping; clothing(Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein...)perfumes, etc..

I read somewhere tourist may get a taxreturn in NOLA? Not sure about that, though.

All suggestions and advices are welcome.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

New Orleans will have less expensive lodging, by far. Meals (and drinks!) will be a bit cheaper in NOLA. And yes, international visitors do get their tax refunded at certain merchants.

As for shopping, you will do most of it in New York. Better selection and similar pricing!

Milwaukee, WI/New...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

Off-Topic, but - the wife of the manager of Lucky's (1625 St. Charles Ave) is from The Netherlands, in case you get homesick or need someone that speaks your language.

;)

New Orleans...
reviews: 94
3. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

Tax-free shopping website: http://www.louisianataxfree.com/

Louisiana is the only U.S. state which does this, by the way. Yay Louisiana!

NY
reviews: 153
4. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

NYC will be more expensive to sleep in. As far as eating, I think about the same, you can find cheap places, and expensive places. More places to eat in NYC. I'm from NY, so I love going to New Orleans, and I'm sure it's the same the other way around. To do serious shopping, don't even think of New Orleans in the same category, you need to be in NY for that.Enjoy your trip, but get your shopping done here.

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

NEW ORLEANS, no contest. This question actually made me laugh out loud.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 72
6. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

New Orleans is definitely NOT the place to do the serious type of shopping that you've mentioned above i.e. brand name merchandise, so I would do that all in NYC. New Orleans has lots of antiques, jewelry shops and boutiques, but it's nowhere in the same league as NYC for shopping.

However, New Orleans is one of the food destinations within the U.S. and you'll definitely enjoy the restaurants here. Prices have gone up considerably over the years here, so many of our nicer restaurants are on par price range wise with NYC.

Hamilton, Canada
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 4
7. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

NYC or New Orleans...both are places I love...for very different reasons!! As everyone has said above NYC is the place to go for the shopping...you can shop for days:) I love NYC for the fast paced, exciting atmosphere, but I love New Orleans for the more relaxed atmosphere. There is so much to do in New Orleans, but I always do it at a relaxed pace...whereas, NYC is always very go, go, go when I'm there. So, you should definitely do most of your shopping in NYC, although, you gotta go to the French Market while in New Orleans...for a different reason...fun souvenirs:)

Have a great time on your trip!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 73
8. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

My husband and I are planning our first vacation to

New York next month and I am feeling very unfaithful since we always vacation in New Orleans! We are looking forward to visiting NYC, but I have found that hotel prices are outrageous there....about 3 times or more what you will pay for a nice hotel in

New Orleans. But, apparently the shopping in NYC is

the best so you should plan on doing your shopping there. Have fun!!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 15
9. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

"I read somewhere tourist may get a taxreturn in NOLA? Not sure about that, though."

The USA doesn't have a Value Added Tax (VAT) and the federal government doesn't have the authority to refund state sales taxes. The states and cities themselves can offer a refund of those taxes to international visitors, however, and there is a refund center located in New Orleans.

http://www.louisianataxfree.com/

Charleston, SC
reviews: 55
10. Re: Cheaper: NYC or Nola??

You probably are aware of our numerous "Outlet" malls - these are places that (presumably) sell the things that are surplus from a company's main stores. (For example, Eddie Bauer stores have to make room for their new merchandise, and the things that haven't sold or "second hand" items go to the outlets, often at pennies on the dollar.) I said "presumably" since you really should know the prices of the things you're looking for to determine if you're getting a deal. They can be fun and a good place to stretch the legs on a long journey as they often have food courts and clean rest rooms.

http://www.tangeroutlet.com/ shows the locations of outlet malls in the U.S. - it looks like there is one on your way to Miami from New Orleans.

Drive carefully and enjoy!