We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 17
Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

We are a family of four (w/ 2 daughters ages 9 & 12 & their 1st time in NO. We have 3 full days there and here is what we are considering:

CAFE DU MONDE

MARDI GRAS WORLD

HONEY ISLAND SWAMP TOUR (is there something better)

STREET CAR TO GARDEN DISTRICT

CARRIAGE RIDE

AUDUBON ZOO

RIVERBOAT CRUISE

We'll pass on the aquarium this time. Any other interesting or unique tours (KATRINA?) or CEMETERY?

or places we shouldn't miss.

RESTAURANTS:

ACME

JOHNNY PO BOYS

COMMANDER PALACE (Sunday Brunch)

NAPOLEON HOUSE

GROCERY

GUMBO SHOP

any others that are family friendly / reasonable

Thanks for your help.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

I wouldn't pass on the aquarium as it is a very good one. It has a nice IMAX theatre showing "Hurricane On the Bayou," among other offerings.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

Thanks Cajunwave....I may add the aquarium to our trip:)

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 72
3. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

I completely agree with CajunWave. The Aquarium is great!

I'd pass on the Riverboat cruise, since if you go to Mardi Gras World, you'll get to cross the river on the ferry anyway, and the cruise can be boring.

When you're at Cafe du Monde, you should also go through the French Market flea market for souvenirs at good prices.

When you head to the Garden District, they have great combined Garden District/cemetery tours that you could fit in. (http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/Garden.htm)

Tours by Isabelle has a well-regarded Katrina tour. Alternatively, if you have a car, you could drive through some sites yourself.

You have a great list of restaurants. If you hit them all, I will be very impressed, and your stomach will be very happy :)

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 78
4. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

We took our 3 granddaughters to New Orleans in December. Their favorite things were the ghost tour (Haunted History), streetcar ride on St. Charles, and Hurricane on the Bayou show at Imax Theatre, and shopping at the French Market every day. We had planned on going to Mardi Gras World but just ran out of time. You might also consider Pat O'Brien's restaurant for a meal. The kids can't go into the bar area, but we went there for an evening meal (nothing special but reasonably priced), and the girls enjoyed walking up to the fountain area to see the beautiful fountain at night (they could only go a certain distance and then there was a sign saying 21 only past here)...but still could see the beautiful fountain.

Michigan
reviews: 47
5. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

HI,

We just returned (SAT) from our first trip there and had a great time...DD15 really enjoyed the Carriage Ride, Mardi Gras World, and the New Orleans Cooking School 2.5 hr demo. She also loved just walking around the FQ - I would stay away from Bourbon Street. We really didn't care for the Aquarium and didn't get a chance to do a swamp tour. The Food was wonderful and its a good thing we didn't rent a car and had to walk everywhere. DD was not that interested in the Garden District, and didn't like the street car (crowded and dirty). If your girls like to shop and browse they will probably like the flea market and just walking around and going into all of the different shops.

Restaurants we loved...

Red Fish Grill - Great Seafood

New Orleans Cooking School - Different dishes based on day you go - you can look up what by day online.

Gumbo Shop - very good

Mulates - would pass on going to this one - although the red beans and rice was the best we had.

Napoleon House - Food - pretty good - atmosphere Great.

Cresent City Grill - Very Good.

Cafe Du Mond - Very Good

Court of Two sisteres Buffet - not worth it with Kids - and for the price I would have rather gone to a small cafe etc.

Denise

pensacola
6. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

Allegiator Swamp Tour maybe be a worthwhile adventure for an out of towner. Riverboat ride on Miss. is interesting and novel. A zoo is a zoo...it can't possibly match San Diego. Definitely ride the trolleys....there are two lines...St Charles (west)and Canal Street (north from Quarter up Canal St). Don't think Katrina tour is worth the price. Sights are interesting but one can take only so much devastation. Sad sight!

Boston...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

Interesting, the different experiences people have. I visited with my husband and two sons pre Katrina.

Here is our take. Mardi Gras world "was lame" (quote from boys). It felt like a souvenier shop, but there was an entrance fee. We took a ferry to the zoo, (which covers your riverboat ride) and we thought the zoo was a nice afternoon away from Bourbon St. The boys enjoyed wandering around Bourbon St., an eyeopening experience. We also enjoyed the flea market. We ate at Commander's Palace for lunch because it was less formal (again, the boys) which was lovely. It is in a pleasant area to wander and there is a cemetary across the street. We also ate at Acme. The men liked it. I'm not a huge fan of fish/oysters, so it's probably no surprise that I was less than impressed. Cafe DuMonde is a must. I am a cafe au lait addict and theirs was delicious.

I will be in back in NOLA in just overa week. My son is considering college at Tulane, so I will be following the forum.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 72
8. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

One quick note - unfortunately, the ferry to the zoo is no longer operational. It's not set to be back until 2009 or so, which is a shame since the ferry ride was lots of fun.

9. Re: Family of Four - best suggestions of touring NEW ORLEANS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 25, 2009