We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anne Rice tour

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 1
Anne Rice tour

Do they still have an actually tour of all the properties or do you just visit each individual site of her books. And most of all is the tour worth it?!?! I have never read one of her books but my friend who is going with me are into it big time would I enjoy it?

cate

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Anne Rice tour

Forget the Anne Rice aspect of your tour. Anne's gone. She moved out to the suburbs a couple of years ago and is now in California. If you stop by her old Garden District house on First Street, private security will nudge you along. St. Elizabeth's is now a condo complex. You can still see some of the things she wrote about in her books but there's very little left in terms of "Anne attractions."

Texas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Anne Rice tour

Thanks saved us some much valuable time

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 50
3. Re: Anne Rice tour

In March this year, we walked by Anne's old house. There were kids in the back yard playing. We stood at the front of the house and admired the diamond pattern fence for 10 minutes. We didn't see any security. It seems that neighborhood is pretty tolerant of tourists because most people out sightseeing were quiet.

St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, 400 Basin St. A tomb (empty, of course) with Louis the vampire's name is located here in the "Vampire Chronicle" books.

Gallier House, 1132 Royal St. This famously preserved museum is said by Rice scholars to be the model for the house on Rue Royal that was home to vampires Lestat and Louis in Interview with the Vampire.

The stretch of 700 to 900 Royal St. Quite a few of the exteriors for the Interview with the Vampire movie were filmed along this stretch.

Madame John's Legacy, 632 Dumaine St. In the Interview with the Vampire movie, this is the house from which the caskets are being carried as Brad Pitt's voice-over describes Lestat and the little vampire Claudia going out on the town: "An infant prodigy with a lust for killing that matched his own. Together, they finished off whole families."

Caf�� du Monde, 800 Decatur St. Lestat visits this restaurant in The Tale of the Body Thief, and Michael and Rowan snack here in The Witching Hour.

Jackson Square. It's here that Claudia makes an important decision regarding Lestat's fate in Interview with the Vampire and that Raglan James meets Lestat in The Tale of the Body Thief.

Omni Royal Orleans hotel, at 621 St. Louis St. Katherine and Julien Mayfair stay here -- it's still the St. Louis Hotel -- in The Witching Hour.

Court of Two Sisters, 613 Royal St. Characters in The Witching Hour dine here.

Galatoire's, 209 Bourbon St. Characters from several books, including The Witching Hour, dine here as well.

Hotel Monteleone, 214 Royal St. This was Aaron Lightner's house in The Witching Hour.

Boyer Antiques Doll & Toy Museum, 241 Chartres St. In the Interview with the Vampire movie, this is the shop where Claudia admires a doll and then deals with the patronizing shopkeeper in typical vampire fashion.

Marsoudet-Caruso House, 1519 Esplanade Ave. A few blocks north of the French Quarter at the intersection of Esplanade and Claiborne avenues, this is the house where Louis scents the smell of old death in the Interview with the Vampire movie and finds the moldering Lestat shrinking from helicopters in a musty chair.

Jackson Barracks, south of the French Quarter along the Mississippi. This area was used for numerous exteriors in the Interview with the Vampire movie, including the scene where Louis and Claudia run for their ship after setting Lestat on fire.

Coliseum Theater, 1233 Coliseum St. In the film version of Interview with the Vampire, this is the theater where Louis sees Tequila Sunrise.

The property at 1515-17 St. Charles Ave. Rumors that Rice was going to open a Lestat-themed cafe here were still circulating at press time, but it was unclear whether or not she was selling the property along with the rest of her Garden District holdings.

Pontchartrain Hotel, 2031 St. Charles St. This upscale hotel and its restaurant, the Caribbean Room (now closed), appear in The Witching Hour.

St. Alphonsus Church, 2030 Constance St. This is a small church with a stunning interior. It was the O'Brien family church -- Anne's parents married here, and she was baptized and received communion here. Readers will recognize this as a setting in The Witching Hour.

1239 First St. This historic property was Anne Rice's primary residence. The Mayfair house in The Witching Hour matches her home in almost every detail, including address.

2301 St. Charles Ave. This spacious, two-story white house was Rice's childhood home.

2524 St. Charles Ave. Rice's family moved into this traditional-style raised villa when Anne was 14. It's prominently featured in her novel Violin.

Commander's Palace, 1403 Washington Ave. Rice readers will recognize this restaurant as a favorite of the Mayfair family.

Lafayette No. 1. This centerpiece of the Garden District is also a frequent setting in Rice's work, especially as a roaming ground for Lestat and Claudia in Interview with the Vampire and as the graveyard for the Mayfairs in The Witching Hour.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Anne Rice tour

Wow, Porc, that is an EXTENSIVE list. Thanks! I'm going to save it for when Anne Rice-fan houseguests come visit.

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Anne Rice tour

porcupine150 certainly is a wealth of knowledge regarding Anne! I will have to check out some of those locations myself. I had the pleasure of meeting her, her sister and 2 of her cousins and touring St. Elizabeth's before she sold it, she very graciously signed a few books for me. Shortly after I moved here, she moved to the suburbs and now California. I cannot understand how she could ever leave the house on First street and NOLA, it breaks my heart. She is releasing a new book about Jesus sometime this fall. Remember this great city is so much more than Anne's wonderful stories. So, have an enchanting visit.