We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
reviews: 35
What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

Since we can't buy one of everything, like a shirt from every bar, what souvenirs capture the essence of New Orleans? The question may seem stupid, but there's a lot more where that came from... :)

Los Angeles
reviews: 7
1. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

I always bring home pralines from Aunt Sally's.

Plus, over the years, almost all my friends either have a set of Cafe du Monde mugs or Pat O'Brien Hurricane glasses, depending on the friend!

Handcrafted Carnival masks are reserved for 'better' friends (and for US!).

Shopping is never hard!

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 50
2. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

I like the old maps of New Orleans at the Historic New Orleans Collection gift shop.

Idaho
reviews: 1
3. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

A can of Cafe du Monde coffee and a Tabasco mini bottle & free beads of course.

Idaho
4. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

also a Hurricane glass for Pat O'briens, that is a must.

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
5. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

A quart of olive salad from Central Grocery!

Alabama
reviews: 4
6. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

We try to buy a book each trip. Often something with wonderful pictures of the City. "Missing New Orleans" is our latest purchase. There are several places to buy great New Orleans books including: The French Market, Faulkner House Books, Garden District Book Shop, and the little store in the FQ .... oh, what's it called? I think it's on Chartres at the end of one of the short streets - maybe Madison. I'm sure someone here can recall the name.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 15
7. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

I've always gotten my friends voodoo dolls. They're $1 at the french market and they travel well. Although this time I also got a few of my closer friends hurricane mix from pat o's.

Niagara Falls
reviews: 2
8. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

Great masks! There are a few great mask shops in New Orleans. If it's in the budget get a locally made one.

Northwest US
reviews: 16
9. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

We purchased Cafe du Monde mugs, Aunt Sally's pralines, books for the kids from the 1850 house and the Historic New Orleans gift shop, a voodoo doll for Mom, and $2 masks for the kids. I bought a book of short stories set in the French Quarter and an inexpensive fleur de lis pendant in the French Market. The French Market is a great place for inexpensive souvenirs. There are numerous shops selling ticky-tacky stuff that I avoided.

Bangor, Maine
10. Re: What souvenirs best say "New Orleans"?

I've found some of my favorite souvenirs at the city's Art Markets.

I've been to three different ones, the Bywater Art Market, the Mid-City Art Market, and the Gretna Art Walk, some of the same vendors at each one, but a few different to add variety. Each market has it's own web-site, so if you do a google search they should come up easily enough. One of my favorite vendors is Heather Elizabeth Designs, she makes some beautiful jewelry, night-lights, wine stoppers, and other items using photos of New Orleans icons like the watermeter cover, St. Louis Cathedral, the streetcars, etc. Also, there's a vendor whose name escapes me that sells stone coasters with New Orleans images on that have a been a big hit when I've given them to people.

For kids(or folks with a rec room to decorate) beads or feather masks always seem to be a hit and my co-workers really seemed enjoy the little 6for$5 voodoo dolls from the French Market.

Finally, Cafe Du Monde coffee and beignet mix are a good bet. I've got so many of my friends and co-workers hooked on their coffee over the years that we pool our money and buy a case of coffee(free shipping for a case, don't you know) from the Cafe Du Monde website every 3-4 months to split up among us.

Carey