We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Italian pizza

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Authentic Italian pizza

After a trip to Rome, we're in search of the most authentic pizza in Madison. Any recommendations?

Up North
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
11. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Both Brutta and Porta Alba are thin crust, but I like Brutta more. It is consistently excellent, while Alba can sometimes be a bit tough (other times it is good). Naples 15 is also very good, a bit thicker than either Brutta or Alba but really very good all around (and a bit more expensive). I have tried Luigi's on Midvale, it was a disappointment, not terrible, just average.

Edited: 8:14 pm, January 11, 2013
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
12. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

I thought I was the only person in Madison who isn't fond of Ian's pizza. I do wish Madison had a good deep dish option.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
56 reviews
13. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Ian's is okay when you're drunk or hungry for binge food. I mean, it's actually fairly decent (meaning better than Pizza Hut, Domino's, Pizza Pit, etc) but it's a far cry from really good pizza. With that being said Ian's has its place and I like it for what it is.

Level Contributor
4,256 posts
141 reviews
14. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

I had some "Glass Nickel" pizza this weekend. The caveat is that it was at a sporting event where the volunteers were selling it, but I assume it's the same as at the restaurant. I saw the guy bring it in.

I really liked it, which surprised me. I usually prefer a thinner crust and this was thicker. However this was crispy on the bottom, but also a bit chewy. Good mix of sauce to other ingredients. Lots of cheese. Others there said they really like Glass Nickel too.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
56 reviews
15. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Yeah, Glass Nickel is another really good pizza joint. There's also Picasso's off Verona Road and Roman Candle on Willy St. But, again, I wouldn't put these in the same category as Pizza Brutta or Alba.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
261 reviews
16. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Roman Candle Pizza from Williamson Street, delivery at its best! Ian's ranks so high because of its proximity to the UW campus and central district. The varieties of pizza is fun, but unless you're coming in at bar time the pizza could be sitting in the window upwards of a hour. Ian's is ok to grab a slice on the run, but Roman Candle is far superior. Glass Nickel Pizza is another that comes to mind as great za.

Madison, Wis
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
17. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

I agree with the Italian Workmens. The actual restaurant is the Greenbush Bar.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
18. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

My wife and I had the pleasure of eating at Urban Slice during a recent trip to Madison. We were both born and raised in New York so we know a little bit about authentic New York Style pizza and Urban Slice did not disappoint!

Not only was this the best pizza that we have ever had outside of New York but it was one of the best pizza that we have ever had period! My wife is not a big pizza lover and she loved this pizza. The pizza is thin crusted with just the right amount of spices in the sauce and just the right amount of mozzarella cheese. In addition the meatball toping that we ordered was delicious. It was not just ground beef but a real Italian meatball topping.

We are moving to Madison soon and this will be our regular pizza place. If you value the opinion of two New Yorkers on good New York Pizza then don’t just walk here for their pizza…RUN!!!

19. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 19, 2014