We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Italian pizza

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
Authentic Italian pizza

After a trip to Rome, we're in search of the most authentic pizza in Madison. Any recommendations?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 102
1. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60859-Madison_W… note Ian's Pizza is ranked 4 out of 510 restaurants. I don't know how authentic but for a pizza place to snag fourth out of 510 restaurants speaks volumes. See the reviews for the various reasons Ian's ranks fourth and see if it might be worth checking out

Edited: 10:26 pm, January 08, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 102
2. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

mac and cheese pizza I guess is one of Ian's unique choices and that they do it by slice is appealing to many. Lombardino's snags 30th place out of 510 and is mentioned for their good pizzas.

http://www.lombardinos.com/

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 20
3. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

In my opinion, the most authentic is found at the Italian Workingman's Club on Regent Street. Ian's, while great, has nothing to do with Italy - they are all about quirky and fun!

Most American pizza has too much salty cheese on it to be authentic.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 22
4. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Despite the lack of recent reviews on TA, Cafe Porta Alba near Hilldale does some interesting Neapolitan<?> style choices: http://www.cafeportaalba.com/menu.htm

Wisconsin
reviews: 16
5. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

There's Naples 15 on Butler Street. Haven't been there - mixed reviews.

Up North
reviews: 11
6. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Porta Alba isn't bad, I consider it the 3rd best authentic Italian pizza in Madison. I like Naples 15 also, and rank it #2 in Madison. But the best and most authentic pizza in Madison is without any shadow of doubt - Pizza Brutta in the 1800 block of Monroe Street.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 50
7. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

I second Pizza Brutta. It's expensive but definitely compared to what I had in Rome.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 50
8. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Just tried Porta Alba and I revise my reply. That place is my number one pick.

Wisconsin
reviews: 141
9. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Not a fan at ALL of Ian's. It reminds me of White Castle, you either love it or the other. I had heard so much about it but was very disappointed. I'll have to remember Porta Alba and Pizza Brutta. Are they thin or thick crust? I like a paper thin crust. Too many places now use those pre-made ones that are like cardboard.

I don't know how authentic it is, but I like Roman Candle. Not the best I ever had, but tasty.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 22
10. Re: Authentic Italian pizza

Thin crust for Porta Alba.

Another possiblity I've heard good things about, but haven't been to myself yet, is Luigi's - also on Midvale: http://www.luigismadison.com/Menu.aspx

Edited: 6:22 pm, January 11, 2013