We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Madison

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Chicago to Madison

Hello people,

I wanted to know what would be the best way to travel from Chicago to Madison. Flight is not an option for me.

I was doing some research and came across bus services like Van Galdar and Megabus. Are they recommended?

If yes - Where would be the best location to catch these buses? The Van Galdar Bus begins from the O'Hare Airport - So can it be accessed from the outside -- i.e. for someone who is not arriving by flight?

Thanks!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 19
1. Re: Chicago to Madison

Yes, you can take the CTA train out from downtown to the airport to catch the bus. There are also Van Galder busses that start from downtown Chicago to Madison.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 86
2. Re: Chicago to Madison

You can also get the Megabus from Chicago to Madison on Canal Street (east side) just outside of Union Train Station. This is in downtown Chicago.

Up North
reviews: 11
3. Re: Chicago to Madison

I recommend the Van Galder bus over the Megabus. They have more frequent service and are more reliable. You can catch the Van Galder bus to Madison from either O'Hare airport or downtown Chicago. (They also have a service to Midway airport). At O'Hare, you can catch the bus just outside the International terminal, or at the transit/shuttle center in front of the airport Hilton (which is a short walk from any of the domestic terminals). Check their website for times and other details. If you are not arriving on a flight, the transit/shuttle center outside the Hilton is the better choice. The fare is $29 one-way, and they do have room for luggage.

In Madison, you can get off at either the Dutch Mill park and ride near the SE corner of the city, or at the Memorial Union near the corner of Park and Langdon Streets on the UW campus.

Edited: 10:32 am, November 27, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 5
4. Re: Chicago to Madison

Get the Megabus app for your phone or find the web page online. If you book ahead, you save a ton using Megabus. Many times they are the same bus as Van Galder, which charges more.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 284
5. Re: Chicago to Madison

I always take the Van Galder bus from Madison to Chicago and vice versa. Like some previous posters mentioned, you can catch the Van Galder bus at the international terminal or the bus shuttle center. You can view the bus schedules on their website. It takes around 3 hours to go from Chicago to Madison with a few stops in between.

6. Re: Chicago to Madison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, December 16, 2013