We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants in Madison

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 2
Best restaurants in Madison

We give our adult kids a restaurant gift certificate for Christmas. What are the best places in / around Madison? They have been to Tornado's Steak and L'Etoile.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 100
1. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

How about Quivey's Grove? http://www.quiveysgrove.com/

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
2. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

I know family's raved about L'Etoile. It's gotten top national awards (James Beard). Would they want casual or more expensive?

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 50
3. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

Food Fight has a special, free $25 gift card with purchase of $100 in gift certificates (my pick would be Johnny Delmonico's). Otherwise, I really liked Tempest Oyster House but I don't know if they have gift certificates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 11
4. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

If they like steak, think about Smokie's. It 's an old time Madison restaurant that serves the best steak. It's like an old supper club and a bit kitschy. They don't take credit cards, but I bet they offer gift certificates.

Madison, WI
reviews: 32
5. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

Both L'Etoile and Tornado Steakhouse are on/near Capital Square. If this is a preference of theirs, then consider Sardine and Fresco, both also nearby. Nothing wrong with Quivey's Grove or Johnny Delmonico's either as others suggest, but you might receive 50 good suggestions from 50 different people. Without knowing your kids' cuisine preferences, it is just a guessing game. Take a look at the Best of Madison 2012 Restaurant Guide (madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/…) that lists some 'bests' and also has sections by ethnic cuisine, etc. Most good restaurants have gift certificates and most have websites so you could check prices, etc. This might help. BTW, the Tornado Steakhouse, Flemings and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse are probably the top three steak joints in Madison these days - sadly, Smoky's (not Smokie's) has slipped a lot in the last 20 years - a shadow of its former self.

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
6. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

I agree with OregonSlim - especially about Smoky's. It's ok - but there's better. Fesco was wonderful when we were there last year. Haven't been to Quivey's in a few years. Wonder Bar is good and has an interesting atmosphere. There are many good restaurants in Madison, and expensive doesn't necessarly equate to good.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 11
7. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

Thanks. I knew I should have checked the spelling. ; ) Thanks.

I had a good meal at Smokey's more recently than 20 years ago. It was probably six or seven years ago. I think part of the charm of Smokey's is that it is old school and local. I found Tornado very loud, but I'll admit it's been a few years and some people don't mind the noise. Had a good steak at Ruth's Chris, but that was in San Antonio. ; )

To be honest if it were me, I'd go back to L'Etoile. I can't get enough of that restaurant. I can't afford to eat that well in NYC.

Pam

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
8. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

We were just at Smoky's 3 months ago - it was ok but it used to be better.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
reviews: 19
9. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

Smokey's. Any steak we'd fixed at home would be better.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 6
10. Re: Best restaurants in Madison

If you need a place with gift cards, you can't go wrong with Food Fight, a local "chain" of great restaurants.

http://www.foodfightinc.com/