We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

I am a single male (no kids), 32 years old, moving to Madison in January for a job. The job is actually in Middleton. Any suggestions what area I should move to. Would living on the isthmus be a inconvenience driving to Middleton everyday through all that traffic (don't know if there is driving west, away from downtown). I know the Willy St area is great, but I am actually having trouble finding something reasonable. Any thoughts.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 95
1. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60859-i616-k53662… this will give you some ideas, the local experts will likely weigh in. As a general reminder as a first time poster this is a travel forum vs. a relocation forum, just an FYI in case the post doesn't last.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 17
2. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

You may prefer living near the Hilldale shopping center, which has become a trendy part of town. Parking is easier there than downtown, and your commute would be cut in half.

Sheboygan Avenue is a street with lots of apartments that are reasonably priced. My grad students and post-docs have often moved there for their first apartments in town. The area near UW Hospital is also quite nice, but a little further to drive to Middleton.

Going west from downtown is not as difficult as driving east TO downtown. You will be driving against much of the traffic instead of crawling along with it. Feel free to PM me by clicking on my name to the left if you have more questions, because as hatch says, they will often shut down relocation posts.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
reviews: 19
3. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

The Hilldale or Hillfarms area is great. A new apartment building was finished last August next to Target on University Avenue...and behind Hilldale...well, sort of. BUT as kimbobb said there are a lot in the area so you can shop competitively. As a long-time Madison area resident, I covet Hilldale area although we have lived a long time in suburban Middleton area. Lovely neighborhood but walkability is low.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 5
4. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

In Madison, there is an East/West divide. It's a stereotype that's more of a fun joke than reality anymore: West side is for money-oriented soulless people and the East side is for stinky Patchoulli-wearing hippies. The truth lies somewhere inbetween. I live in the Willy St. area and it's popular for a reason. I hardly have to drive.

That being said, you could find a place in downtown Middleton itself, which has come a long way in the last 10 years. Hilldale area is also good for location and activities. Any closer to downtown, and you're competing with students and other 20/30/40 somethings who pay more for the fun. You'll just have to travel to the downtown area and Willy St. (eastside) for fun.

The leases here are usually Aug 15 - Aug 14 because of student leases, You might want to sign a short term lease to settle in and then in April look for an Aug. lease if you want to live anywhere downtown or east. The commute is not as bad as a large city, but it might take 30 minutes to get from the downtown area to Middletone, depending on when you commute.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
5. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

Getting around Madison can be a little bit of a challenge, spoken by someone who's a frequent visitor. Because of the many lakes in the area and roads leading to the capitol in the city itself, things can take a bit of time.The beltway gets pretty clogged during its busy times. Despite being a smaller city, I think the rush hour is more frustrating than many larger cities.However, it's a terrific area to live.

6. Re: Moving to Madison in January, WHERE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 16, 2013