We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 26
Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

When looking for a Greyhound bus route from La Crosse to Madison WI it takes us via Millwaukee! The bus stops at Madison Jefferson Lane.Please can you tell me if this is Madison itself or near enough or do we have to go by Millwaukee which takes 19 hours!!

Thanks for any help.

Wisconsin
reviews: 33
1. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

The short answer is yes, the stop is in Madison. The stop is right at the University campus, so its actually easier for most people than the Greyhound stop, which is way on the North side of Madison.

The Jefferson stop refers to the name of the bus company. Jefferson Bus Lines actually provides the service from LaCrosse to Madison, but you can book your ticket via Greyhound.

Badger Bus also has a service between LaCrosse and Madison, but its aimed mostly at college kids, so it only runs on Fridays and Sundays between Sept. and May.

Edited: 7:42 pm, October 17, 2012
Scotland
2. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

RTAMidwest.Thanks very much for that information.It answers my question completely. I presume thast the University Campus is downtown near the hotels & B&Bs etc so we can walk from there even though we are seniors!

After Madison we are getting The Empire Builder to Portland.I see from the Greyhound website again that we can get a bus from Madison to Columbus to pick up the train. What sort of a place is Columbus? Is it worth an overnight stop or are we better stayin g in Madison?

Thanks

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 21
3. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

Columbus is a very quiet small town. It has a few good hotel rooms and at least one B&B that I know of. Its town center looks very much like it did in the early 20th Century, so much so that it was recently used in the movie about John Dillinger starring Johnny Depp.

Basic restaurant options are available, but nothing fancy. If you need a down day before you hop on the train, it's a good place for that. There is a giant antique mall to browse through, and good local people to talk with on the street who will be fascinated by a Scottish accent, no doubt.

So if you want slow and quiet, it will be great for you. If you prefer lots of options and stimulation galore, you may rather stay in Madison.

Good luck with the planning, and keep coming back with the questions!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
4. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

Madison has a good network of bus service within the city. So, if you need get around further than walking distance you can check out this website

http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/

Scotland
5. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

Thanks kimbob.Columbus sounds our kind of place!I have been in touch with the B&B owner and once our dates are finalised will stay there.

Thanks przyk for the Madison bus details too.Everyone is most heplful.

6. Re: Bus from La Crosse to Madison WI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 26, 2013