We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Hi,

Hope someone here can help. I'm coming in from out of town for a business meeting with folks who are located in East Madison (near the "American Center"). I would like to take them offsite after our meeting for a really fabulous lunch and don't know the area well enough to locate the right kind of a place. I'd love a fancy steakhouse if I can find one - I'm looking for white tablecloths, excellent service and not so noisy that I can't have a conversation with them.

Any ideas? Price is not an issue; this is an expense account situation. Thanks for your help!

Jean

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

I think you need to go downtown. Granted, my orientation is near west and downtown and not east Madison, but a quick search on the Daily Page is not getting me anywhere. Maybe someone else will chime in, as I really hate to sound like a broken record, but I would suggest L'Etoile.

If you are interested in a classic steak house / supper club with the best steaks, think about Smokies.

Harvest is another great high end restaurant that is downtown.

The Tornado Club is good, but I've found it loud in the past.

Fresco is also good, but I would be worried about the noise level.

Pam

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Thank you Pam. Downtown is 8-99 miles and at least 20 minutes away. I'm afraid my guests can't spend 40 minutes commuting back and forth for lunch (and leaves very little time for the actual lunch.)

I came across those places in my research and they sound great! But too far away. I think there's a mall nearby (East Towne Mall?) Anyone know if there's anything special in there?

Thanks,

Jean

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

It's mostly chain restaurants. I don't know that you're going to find any white table cloth establishments.

Look on The Daily Page. They cover just about every place. I was trying to remember if there was somewhere on East Wash and can't come up with any to fit your description. Maybe someone else can.

Bahn Thai is very good and a bit closer if your group likes Thai. I've only eaten at the one on University, but the east side location gets good reviews.

Pam

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
893 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

There are only two fancy places on the east side of Madison that I know of. The Imperial Palace is just what you describe, except that they specialize in Chinese cuisine. If you call ahead though, and tell them that you are looking for steaks, they may be willing to order some in special for your lunch. You could be in a private room with table linens and the best china.

The other option is the restaurant at the Crowne Plaza. They are also willing to set up an event for you with a specific menu, if you want to offer something in addition to steaks for your guests.

I would recommend at least 3 days notice for either place, though, because this is an unusual request.

Good luck - let us know how it worked out for you!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

I used to live on the east side and am racking my brain to think of a restaurant as op described. Honestly, unless you're willing to entertain the idea of a supper club then I think you'll be forced to go downtown. There's also the new Ale Asylum brewpub location near the airport but they dont serve steaks. Either way I think what a previous poster said about L'Etoile being your best bet is correct.

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

For one thing L'Etoile is not open for lunch during the week at all!! What about going to Graze downtown? but the first thing that came to mind very close to the American Center is Erin Snug Irish Pub...not a steak or white table cloth place, but close and the food is pretty good.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

I'm actually relieved that everyone else was struggling too. I was feeling like such a west-sider. ; )

Pam

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
515 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Erin's Snug Irish Pub. It's right in that neighborhood. It's newer and stylish, but not formal. Check their website.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Doesn't L'Etoile have a "sister" restaurant next door that is open for lunch? I remember having breakfast there during the marches around the capital in March 2011.

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Upscale Business Lunch in East Madison?

Yes as I posted above the restaurant is Graze, and like I said before Erin Snug Irish Pub is close to the American Center that might be a good choice.