We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Stay in Winter

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Extended Stay in Winter

Hi,

I shall be visiting Madison from December to April as part of my university Hospital Appointment. I understand it would be freezing cold during those months

I am looking for affordable accommodation for me and my wife in madison close to the university hospitals for extended stay for about 3 - 4 months. I have been looking at the extended stay america hotels in madison as my stay option.

Any one of you guys have first hand experience about the extended stay hotels and whether they have reasonable comfort levels? Any particular rooms to choose or avoid would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 17
1. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

You may want to try the Lowell Center on campus. They would have a bus 1/2 block away that is free and goes out to the UW Hospitals every 8 minutes or so. You would then be right on campus, as opposed to many miles away at the Extended Stay.

I HAVE had people stay out there, with no complaints, but it is a long commute.

Another option is to try Craig's List for Madison. Many of my short-term guests have been able to sublet apartments from leads they found on there.

Good luck!

Mumbai (Bombay...
2. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

Thanks for the suggestion of the Lowell Center - Though its a good place is it more expensive than my budget permits... for long term stays the rates for 2 persons is 82$ per night ..- which is a lot for 3 months.

As for Craigslist - Could u tell me the close by areas around the university which i should look for in the list? As I am not familiar with the names of the areas mentioned - I am not sure whether they are close by or far away...

Thanks..

Mumbai (Bombay...
3. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

I also stumbled upon the "Canterbury Inn Apartments" But couldnt find any online reviews of this place... Any information regarding this would be welcome

Up North
reviews: 11
4. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

I'm not directly familiar with the Canterbury Inn, but that location is decent, a couple of miles from the UW Hospital, and near a bus line, plus you will have places to walk to downtown. I would prefer that over Extended Stay America.

You should also visit this web site for more options:

http://housing.civc.wisc.edu/

(campus area housing listing service)

For people new to the area I highly recommend staying as close to work as possible, esp in the winter.

You're right about the freezing cold part though last winter was very mild. I don't recommend bringing too many warm clothes from India except those you need right away. Most are unsuitable for winters in WI, you'll be much better served buying warm clothes after you get here.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 17
5. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

Canterbury is more suited to professors. It's over $1000 per month, but it does have everything included. If you email people on craigslist, they will tell you how close to the UWHospital it is.

Canterbury is off of State Street right downtown, so it's convenient, too.

Saint Germain...
reviews: 76
6. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

Your might look at vrbo.com and call any of the lower priced units and see if they will extend long term stay discounts. You might find something a whole lot more comfortable and home-like for you term than the Extended Stay option.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 273
7. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

I know a lot of University students who sublet their apartments for a semester. You should look into apartments/houses on the West side of campus, close to the UW Hospitals, such as on W. Dayton, Regent, etc (I'm sure there are closer options to the hospital if you look for it). If you go on Craigslist, you can ask people what the address is and go on Google maps and figure out how close it is to the UW hospital. You might want to consider taking public transport too.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
8. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

I have been staying at the Extend a Stay Deluxe for the last three months and it a great hotel. I has a complete kitchen on site laundry site, the hotel is maintain and very clean. I have stayed in many hotels like extend that have extend a stay options and for the daily rate and what you paying for this a great place to stay. Hotel staff is very courteous and try to comply with all your need during your stay at this Extend a Stay Deluxe.

Let you in on little secret if you know you’re going to be a long term resident you should contact the manager at the hotel and most times they will give a very good daily rate since you will be staying in the hotel for so long.

Mumbai (Bombay...
9. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

10. Re: Extended Stay in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 11, 2013