We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Paso, Texas
U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Coming to Madison for a football game, looking for a hotel. Does not have to be near the stadium, but would like to stay in a location that lends itself to long walk or public transportation.

Wisconsin
reviews: 42
1. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

The two closest hotels are HotelRed (very close to stadium) and the Best Western Inntowner (about a mile walk). There are also hotel rooms in the Union South, but the webpage indicates you have to be a Union member (I think 50$ fee) or else a guest of the University.

There is a shuttle service for games that picks up downtown, and there are additional hotels downtown. www.uwbadgers.com/travel/shuttle-bus.html

Football weekends are busy, so many of the closest options may be full or expensive. You could also contact some more outlying hotels to see if they offer shuttle service to the game. Also, many sports bars will offer cheap shuttle service to the game, the hotels probably know if there are any close to their property that do.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 11
2. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

You should also check as some hotels may have a shuttle service. Downtown hotels such as the Concourse and the Hilton likely do. Also, there is some bus service. Another one is the Doubletree. KimBob is right about availability and price for these weekends. I would act quickly. Make some calls.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
3. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

I don't think you are likely to find hotel availability anywhere near Camp Randall on a football weekend.

There are lots of hotels in the area around East Towne Mall. That area would be closer to the airport if you are flying in and you could get a public bus or shuttle to the game.

Wisconsin
4. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Here's a link that will have some maps of hotel location. There is a PDF for both downtown (will include hotels close to the University) and for greater Madison.

If you click on the greater Madison map, you can see the ones at East Town which is near the airport.

visitmadison.com/visitors/…

El Paso, Texas
5. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Thanks for the input. We are pretty mobile. Is there a part of twon to stay in that might be close to restaurants, etc? We'll be there all day Friday and would like to see some of the area as well.

Wisconsin
6. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

The hotels in the downtown/capitol/state street area are going to be the closest to the action and lots of restaurants. However, again they may be expensive and/or booked. They'll be on the central Madison map in the link I posted above. There will be restaurants in the east town area, although since it is a mall many are likely to be chain-type.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
7. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

I suggest you get on hotels.com or whatever search site you like and see what is available and at what price on a football weekend. I did a quick search, assuming you are coming in for the UTEP game on Sept 22nd and hotels.com has no listings available near the campus or downtown. However, outlying hotels seem pretty reasonably priced.

Also assuming you will not have a car to get around you might want to look at the website of the Madison Metro transit to see how you might get around without a car. http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/

On Friday you might want to just wander around the State Capitol and the square around the capitol. Then I suggest you walk State Street, which is a pedestrian street that runs from the Capitol to the campus. You will find lots of interesting shops and restaurants on State Street.

The campus is huge, so how much walking you want to do around the campus is up to you. You should at least make it to the Memorial Union, which has outside seating on the shore of Lake Mendota. That's only a few blocks from where State Street ends at the campus.

If you want to hang around the State Street area to enjoy the nightlife you might be better off taking a taxi back to your hotel.

I do not believe the UTEP game starting time has yet been determined. If it's an 11 am start of course it will be all you can do to get to the game. But, if we have an afternoon start I suggest you spend Saturday morning at the Farmers Market that runs around the Capitol Square. It is one of the oldest, largest and most impressive farmers markets in the country and should not be missed if there is any way possible for you to get there.

El Paso, Texas
8. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Thanks so much. We will have a vehicle, so we may wander a bit on Friday.

Also attended Texas and some games there since that time, so we are pretty comfortable with lots of distance from parking to game, pregame dining crowds and so forth.

Coming up there to get our tails whipped and pick up a check, but they are our guys.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
9. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

Camp Randall is one of the magical places to watch college football, so enjoy the atmosphere.

A car will be nice. With that I can say you could expand your hotel search to Middleton and the West Town mall area. There are some nice hotels in that area and it's only 15 minutes or so to the campus area.

If you decide to drive to the game you can get parking for about $20, or so. There are lots of small businesses that open there lots for parking and even private homes sell parking in the yard.

With a car you can also get to bars that have shuttles to the stadium.

Here is a link to Madison parking garages. The State Street campus garage would be convenient for Friday to visit the campus, State Street and the capitol. If you get there early enough you can even get in on game days.

cityofmadison.com/parkingutility/garagesLots…

El Paso, Texas
10. Re: U of Wisconsin Football weekend

You sure have been a lot of help. Can't thank you enough.