We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a November Football Trip

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Planning a November Football Trip

I know that this is early, but I am planning a trip for a group of us for a Univesity of Wisconsin football game in November. Where would be a good place for us to go near the stadium to hang out before the game? I would like to go somewhere that we could get a table and stay for several hours. I know that some places give you a time limit when they are busy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 11
1. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

I'm sorry that you are not hearing from anyone. Herer are a couple of ideas to explore. If you are a Badger fan, the UWI Alumni association often has a pre-game that can be fun. Yes, alcohol is served. ; ). Another idea would be to check out the new Union South. It is close to the stadium.

Lastly, check out this forum. Buckyville.yucu.com and explore the Badger Football Forum.

Pam

Columbus, Ohio
2. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

Thanks! Actually, we are Ohio State fans coming from Columbus. We will be staying at the Edgewater Hotel and will be looking for a good place to hang out for some food and drinks for a few hours before the game. We will be walking from the hotel, so someplace in between would be perfect!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
3. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

I'm glad to hear you have your hotel reserved. That is usually the most challenging part of a football week end in Madison. State street is directly between the Edgewater and Camp Randall. A place like State Street Brats is a pre game hang out, but you can find all kinds of restaurants on State St.

The Stadium bar on Monroe St directly across from Camp Randall is a popular hangout before games. It is mainly a drinking place, but they have good burgers and brats. It's unlikely you would find a place to sit. Most people stand in the parkng lot where extra bars are set up and listen to music from a dj.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 17
4. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

There is also the Kollege Klub which is roughly halfway between your hotel and the stadium. If you get there early enough, you should be able to sit for a while. Or you can go to the Memorial Union, also about halfway, and you will have choices - coffee, ice cream, food and/or beer.

Since Ohio State is such a big game in Madison, you will have lots of options as Game Day approaches. Keep an eye on the web site that Pam recommended, and you should have plenty of ideas to choose from.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 11
5. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

I think everyone was napping over the weekend. So glad you finally got some responses!

Madison/Chicago
reviews: 1
6. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

Your best bet would be to hang out in the State Street area, or also bars along University Ave, if you want to sit for a few hours. Then head towards the stadium and maybe get your last few drinks there, likely standing.

Columbus, Ohio
7. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

Thanks for the info everyone! I am looking forward to it!

Columbus, Ohio
8. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

Now that my November football trip to Madison is getting closer, I am starting to do some research again on possible restaurants to go to on gameday. The Old Fashioned restaurant sounds really good. Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a table there for a group of around 8 people to hang out, eat and drink for several hours before going to the game?

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 17
9. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

The OF is equipped to handle parties of 8, and they will not give you a time limit. You will probably enjoy it more than being closer to the Stadium, as they have two large rooms of tables. It can be very loud in there, though, so keep that in mind. If you want to talk to each other a lot, you might prefer someplace else, but the OF is a true Wisconsin original.

They serve breakfast on the weekends, too, so you could go early and start with coffee, in case you've been up late the night before!

Keep the questions coming as you read and learn more!

Columbus, Ohio
10. Re: Planning a November Football Trip

Thanks! That's good to hear! We really don't want to go barhopping, but still want to eat, drink and have a good time!