We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in Madison

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
weekend in Madison

I will be staying in Madison for a weekend in a few weeks and I have a couple questions.Is the entire city of Madison non-smoking in bars,or just the downtown area only?What area would you recommend to stay near for nightlife,lodging,live music,dining?Thanks for your help

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 20
1. Re: weekend in Madison

Hello, route 61 -

The entire city is smokefree in bars. There are islands in some areas of the city that are still the town of Madison, though, where smoking is still allowed.

I assume that you are trying to avoid smoke, so I recommend that you stay downtown, where you will have lots of options for all of the items in your list. You can look at thedailypage.com for listings for all of these except lodging.

If you can be more specific as to what you like to listen to and eat, I can steer you toward the places you would like the best. I can do the same for lodging, if you tell me your price range and what sort of place you prefer.

Minneapolis...
2. Re: weekend in Madison

Hi Kimbob,thanks for getting back to me,,Actually,I am a smoker and would prefer an area where you can smoke..Not a make or break preference though..Id like to be in walking distance to some nightlife(live music,bars,dining) from my lodging...Under 125.00 per night for lodging would be great.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
reviews: 20
3. Re: weekend in Madison

OK - that helps. Downtown is still the best choice, I think. You can check out Orbitz or Kayak and find good hotel deals downtown, unless both the hockey AND basketball teams have home games the weekend that you plan to come.

There is a cigar bar, Maduro, on Main Street that allows smoking, with other bars nearby that have live music. And lots of great restaurants around the square and on State Street.

I can recommend the Concourse, the Edgewater, the Inn on the Park, and the Doubletree Hotel downtown. I have stayed at all of them recently, and I have run conferences at most of them.

The Hilton is nice, but very snobby. Customer service is bad there. If you have other options, I would avoid it, although it IS the newest and nicest hotel in downtown Madison.

Bars that I would recommend are Genna's, the Cafe Montmartre (which often has live music), and the High Noon Saloon on East Washington Avenue (ditto).

Restaurants depend on your taste. The Old Fashioned is a new twist on the supper club scene, and they have a great beer selection. Either of the Muramoto restaurants is great for sushi. There's a Brazilian all-you-can-eat meat place off State Street, if that's your thing, and the usual pizza (Ian's), breakfast (Marigold or Sunprint), oriental and even some fast food options.

Take a look at thedailypage.com for more info, and let us know if you have more questions.

You can walk around downtown safely at night, unless it's icy, of course. Very similar to Minneapolis that way, except that YOU have the nice indoor walkways, and we make you freeze outside.

Minneapolis...
4. Re: weekend in Madison

perfect...thanks for your help.Ill look into your recommendations.

USA
5. Re: weekend in Madison

Hey, what's the Brazillian place you are speaking of??? Thanks,

Racine, Wisconsin
reviews: 59
6. Re: weekend in Madison

Probably Samba Brazilian Grill

http://www.sambabraziliangrill.com/

Be very hungry and can be a bit pricey, but very fun for carnivores!

7. Re: weekend in Madison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 07, 2009