We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wichita, kansas
reviews: 33
first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

my husband and I (and our little dogs) are renting a small house just outside of Cortez for a week the end of June. We plan on visiting Mesa Verde NP and the Cortez and Dolores centers. What else is a not to be missed attraction in the area? I have received my information from the tourism sites, but have still not been able to exactly pin down what is not to be missed in the area. Thanks in advance for all of your input.

6 replies to this topic
Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
reviews: 2
1. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

Welcome to the area, in advance! I would highly recommend the Anasazi Heritage Center in Dolores: http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ahc.html.

I also love the drive from Cortez to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass. You may also consider the Durango -Silverton train.

Have a great visit!

Columbus, Ohio
2. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

I spent two weekends in Ouray, CO, which isn't far from Cortez -- and of course Teluride is pretty cool. Hovenweep is a different type of ruins than Mesa Verde and would be a nice ride from Cortez. If you're up for a fairly easy 5 mile round trip hike, Twin Falls near Teec Nos Pos is pretty. Ask at the Teec Trading Post for directions and definitely go inside the trading post and ask to go into the back room. Reasonable prices on Native Arts and Crafts compared to Grand Canyon and Flagstaff prices. Four Corners Monument...well, it's an experience to be in four states at one time and there are many vendors set up at the monument who are willing to dicker.

3. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:43 am, September 25, 2014

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
4. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

Plenty of things to do for people, not so much for little dogs. Dogs can't go on trails at Mesa Verde NP and you can't leave them in the car as it will get way too hot for them. www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Also visit Durango CO, historic old mining town with train to Silverton.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
5. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

It is an old post Casa. Another one that Justin dug up to mention the HI. Most of his post have been removed.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
6. Re: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?

Oh dang, I didn't even catch that. Well still good info if someone comes along, lol.

Reply to: first trip to the area - - what are the "must sees"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted