We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four corners monument

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wayside, New Jersey
reviews: 5
Four corners monument

Will be staying in cortez for 2 nights. My wife wants to see the four corners monument. Is it worth taking the trip from cortez to see this. Is the scenery down there nice? Is there anything else to do there?

13 replies to this topic
Wheat Ridge...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Four corners monument

This is, IMHO, mostly a "been there, done that" kind of thing. The scenery is pretty bland. Its in the middle of nowhere. The monument itself is embedded in the ground with lines for the state borders. Its surrounded with a bunch of booths where Native Americans sell there wares. We did stop by there on our way from Grand Canyon National Park to Pagosa Springs, and bought a few things in the booths. Not sure its worth making a special trip, but its only 40 miles from Cortez. Its interesting to see how much the terrain and vegetation change over that stretch.

If you do go, I recommend continuing on another five miles to Teec Nos Pos and checking out the trading post there.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
2. Re: Four corners monument

Good advice so far. It's a novelty stop at best. The actual marker isn't event in the exact place. It is a decent attraction in the middle of nowhere, pretty baren area. We did find the merchandise booths to be interesting and worthwhile. I would not prioritize it high but if you have a spare half day it's a decent diversion.

Have fun.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 82
3. Re: Four corners monument

I hope you are going to Mesa Verde NP...if so, that will take up pretty much a full day.

Parkland, Florida
reviews: 20
4. Re: Four corners monument

Never been but going this summer.

Here is the web page link:

navajonationparks.org/htm/fourcornerstours.h…

There is a nice little hike to do there:

www.navajonationparks.org/pdf/FCMtrailmap.pdf

Stop at Ute Mountain pottery on the way there or back:

www.utepottery.com/index.php…

Teec Nos Pos Traiding post another 5 miles away as previously stated:

http://tnptradingpost.com/

Belleair Bluffs...
reviews: 87
5. Re: Four corners monument

Just stopped there today on the way to Cortez from Zion. Don't let the "admission fee" of $3 per person put you off. The US Gov't gave this barren land to the Indians after running them off their native lands, so I think the $6 I paid for the two of us is small recompense! (off soap box!) ... There is not much to see, it truly is a "been there done that", but no where else in the US can you set foot in four states at once ... (or at least close to the real spot!) Didn't buy anything, but quality looked good and prices similar to what we've seen else where.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
6. Re: Four corners monument

What does the rest of your itinerary look like? Maybe you could get there on your way to Cortez or on your departure day as you continue on your way. Then you could spend your full day at Mesa Verde.

Wayside, New Jersey
7. Re: Four corners monument

Thanks for your input. We are leaving moab on june 4 after spending 2 days there for cortez. Will pick up tickets for ranger tours at the colorado welcome center for mesa verde. Plan to spend entire day on june 6 exploring mesa verde.Leaving area on june 7 for ouray for 2 nights.My wife wanted to visit the 4 corners before we head to ouray for 2 nights.Just not sure if it is worth spending the time to drive to see it. Wanted to book tour with SOA for yankee boy basin and see black canyon of the gunnison np while in ouray area. Will be leaving ouray for 1 night in manitou springs before flying back from denver.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
8. Re: Four corners monument

You could possible drive on to Four Corners after you leave Moab. As others have noted, there's not much to see, really, except wide open spaces. But it might be worth it just to say you did! If there's more you want to do or see in Ouray, (hiking, mine tour, more of the San Juan Skyway) you could see the Black Canyon NP on your way to Manitou Springs rather than driving there and then back to Ouray. Unless you want to do some hiking, you can get a good sample of the canyon views in a couple of hours, then head on out for Manitou. Just a couple of ideas to help the trip "flow."

Are you going to Ouray via Telluride or around by Durango>Silverton?

You'll love the Yankee Boy Basin tour!

Edited: 10:51 am, April 15, 2013
Wayside, New Jersey
9. Re: Four corners monument

Thanks for the suggestion. Just need to make sure i am able to get tickets for the cliff palace tour at the colorado welcome centr. We are driving via telluride as my wife doesnt like the whit knuckle driving on the durango route to ouray

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Four corners monument

Just another vote for the "been there, done it" crowd. Personally, IMHO, I'd skip it and spend the extra time @ Mesa Verde.

Reply to: Four corners monument
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted