We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa verde tours

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 14
Mesa verde tours

Wondering how busy guided tours will be mid week in may. Driving from Page to Cortez then touring Mesa Verde next day, on a Tuesday. Will I be able to buy tickets for tours when I get to Cortez late afternoon for the following day? Which tour should we take Cliff Palace or Balcony House? Or could we do both? Not sure if we should stay a second night in Cortez or continue up to Moab our next destination. We would like to do both tours and possibly Spruce Tree House. Or one guided tour and tree house? Are they all in same area?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Mesa verde tours

I would spend 2 nights in the area. Mid May you probably will be just fine to get tickets at the Cortez center in the afternoon. Also drive the Mesa Top Ruins Road, visit Farview Ruins and possibly do a hike in and around Spruce Tree House. www.nps.gov/meve has great information and maps. The ruins are in the same area, but can be 15+ minutes or more from each other.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Mesa verde tours

Thanks Casa for the help. Would I have time to do the things you suggest and do one or two guided tours? If only one, which one?6 would you recommend for my nine year old daughter, balcony or cliff palace? One, both or neither?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
3. Re: Mesa verde tours

With one full day you can see most of the main part of Mesa Verde, Chapin Mesa. You will be able to see Spruce Tree House, drive the Mesa Top Ruins Road and do a tour of Cliff Palace and/or Balcony House. If only 1, I would do Cliff Palace, beautiful place and easier in and out!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 106
4. Re: Mesa verde tours

You should be able to get your ranger tour tickets at the Colorado Welcome Center in Cortez when you arrive, if you arrive before their closing time. (They started ticket sales at the Center last year in April and continued through November, so the schedule will probably be similar in 2013.) Then you'll know the time of your tour the following day and can plan your next day's schedule around it.

nps.gov/meve/…12_09_tickets_at_cwc.htm

cityofcortez.com/government/welcome_center

I agree, stay the second night at Mesa Verde or Cortez if at all possible so that you'll have a full day in the park.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 106
5. Re: Mesa verde tours

If not possible to spend the second night, it works well to stay in the park at Far View Lodge on your arrival afternoon and evening. Then you can get your tour tickets, visit the visitor center, get your bearings, do a little exploring, attend a ranger talk that evening, then do some stargazing. Plan to stay until 3 o'clock or so the following day, then drive out and head toward your next stop.

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: Mesa verde tours

We have reservations at holiday inn express in Cortez for two nights and Aarchway Inn in Moab the following 2 nights. Thinking of spending entire day in Mesa Verde. Maybe until 5:00 pm or 6:00 and driving to Moab so we can add a night there and get two full days at Arches and Canyonlands. From Moab we will be heading to Bryce and Zion for three nights. Hotels in Bryce are already booked as it will be Memorial weekend. Will probably drive to Bryce from Zion on a day trip. A bit of backtracking but not much I can do about it. Thank You for the input.

7. Re: Mesa verde tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, February 01, 2014