We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Western...
reviews: 28
Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

We are travelling to Mesa Verde in August and I was wondering if we need to prepurchase tickets to do the guided tours or if there are enough tickets and tours throughout the day to just rock up and buy the tickets on the day?

Thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
1. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

Are you wondering about the $3 ranger led tours? There are usually enough tickets and tours to just walk up and purchase, but not always, especially for Cliff Palace. If it is possible for you to do so, it is best to get your tickets the day before. The Colorado Welcome Center at Cortez sells them so that visitors arriving in Cortez to visit Mesa Verde the next day can purchase their tour tickets the day before and then plan their visit around the tour time. Mesa Verde's a big place, so when you get your tour ticket and then want to go see something else in the meantime, you have to be aware of how long it takes to see what you want to see and then allow enough time to get back to catch your tour.

Perth Western...
reviews: 28
2. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

Excellent - thanks for that information. Its exactly what I was after.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
3. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

I read that in peak season you may only be able to get tickets for Cliff or Balcony house. Just wondering if anyone has every had to choose?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

We took a tour to Cliff Palace mid october 2010. That was at 10am and it totally was sold out. We were glad we purchased the tickets the day before.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

Yes, I have had to choose between the two. But sometimes you can get one the day before, then get the other one on that day. Cliff Palace is the one that tends to get sold out early, because there are quite a few people that don't feel they are physically able to do Balcony House.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
6. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

I meant to say, later in the afternoon if they see that it looks like they aren't selling out.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
7. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

Thank you! We will attempt to drive through Cortez before it's closing time at 6:00 pm. I understand you can also get tickets the day before at MV ranger station from 5-8:30 pm. This would work out for people coming in late and staying at Far View lodge.

8. Re: Pre purchase Mesa Verde tour tickets or buy on the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 06, 2014