We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route to take?

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 20
Which route to take?

We will be travelling from Michigan (leaving May 6) to Arizona (arriving May 10. We would like to travel thru Colorado and are not sure which route to take to see the most in the shortest period of time. We were thinking of possibly seeing the sights around Co. Springs and then travelling HWY 50 to Montrose,then HWY 550 south. But we weren't sure how long that would take and if we might encounter snow up in the mountains that would delay our travel. We have to be in Phoenix on the 10th. Any suggestions??? Thanks a lot.

Springfield, MO
reviews: 3
1. Re: Which route to take?

I would go across I-70 and drop down to Montrose. You have a very short amount of time and a lot of driving to do. Distances in Colorado can be deceiving because they are often up or down, or very curvy, and it can take a lot longer to get from point a to point b than it looks like.

A little longer way to go would be to go west from Loveland and pass through Rocky Mountain National Park, then swing back down to I-70. That would be a little more scenic and give you more of an opportunity to see some incredible views.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
reviews: 16
2. Re: Which route to take?

Our old route down to Sedona from Vail was straight out I-70, thru Moab, Utah and Monument Valley, it's a beautiful drive, but lets you keep your speed up. I-70 holds some great areas, Glenwood Canyon is amazing and it's a days drive to Phoenix from there, but it is a long day and stopping in Moab for the night makes it much nicer. Snow shouldn't be a problem, sometimes it will snow in May & even in June but the sun will melt it off in a few hours. Have Fun! DM

Colorado, USA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Which route to take?

Or you could take Hwy. 285 to Salida, then west on 50 to Cortez--very pretty, grand mountains and views--could be some snow but nothing treacherous.