We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House boating on Lake Ouichita

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IL
reviews: 58
House boating on Lake Ouichita

Has anyone done this - could you put in your '2 cents' as far as size of house boat to rent and where (there will be 9 of us) and your recommendations? Is bigger better? Did you take all your food with you? Are there dining options other than cooking on the boat? Thanks all...........

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
reviews: 264
1. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

I never rented a houseboat but am familiar with two credible marinas and resorts at Lake Ouachita. Each teams with and recommends separately owned houseboat rental companies. Mountain Harbor Resort teams up with Dreamchasers http://www.bigboats.net, and Brady Mountain Resort teams teams with Hills Lake http://www.hillslake.com

I have friends who have kept their private houseboat at each of the two resorts and say good things about both. I have not stayed at Brady Mountain in many years, but I have stayed at Mountain Harbor several times and would have trust in a company they hook up with. Brady is a little closer to Hot Springs.

My friends love houseboating on Lake Ouachita. Sounds like a great trip you are planning.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
reviews: 264
2. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

You asked about food selection on Lake Ouachita: As to the dining selections on Ouachita, the resorts on this lake I am familiar with are not known for gourmet cooking but you can get decent meals at several resorts. I've eaten at a couple of them and they are on generally the 'country-basic' side of the food chain. If you need bacon and eggs, fried chicken or a rib eye steak, you will do okay at most of the places.

IL
reviews: 58
3. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

Thank you - I will check these out.

And thanks for the input on the 'dining out' options

Ward, AR
reviews: 10
4. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

The only eating place that I can think of (that is not a part of a resort) is the Subway at Mountain Harbor Marina. You can pilot your smaller boat/ski do's right up to the dock and be in the Subway doors in just a couple of steps.

AR
reviews: 6
5. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

Crystal Springs Resort on Lake Ouachita also rents houseboats.  They have a restaurant and there is a cafe on hwy 270 where one turns to go to the resort.  At Crystal, if you rent a houseboat, they will give you lessons to drive it, or take it out for you and then move it for you if you want them to after a day or two.  They will also come out and drive the boat in if you desire.  At Crystal, Mt. Harbor and Bradey Mt. the houseboats are nice, well-kept and provide an interesting vacation. All three of the companies are reputable. If you intend to go into the resort areas or the cafe/Subway to eat, you would need another boat to make that trip back in. Most folks who rent the houseboats take their own food, drink, etc. and stay out for several days, only returning in a speed boat to dine out or pick up extras. As far as size of the houseboat goes, that might depend on the configuration of the 9 people....4 couples, one child? 9 singles? Males, females? etc. There are all sorts of sleeping arrangements/ sizes of boats, etc. I suggest you contact resorts and see what is available.

6. Re: House boating on Lake Ouichita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 16, 2010