We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horton Plains with Family and small kids

Which Nuwara Eliya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 9
Horton Plains with Family and small kids

Hi everybody,

First of all I would like to express my appreciation to this useful forum where I am getting a lot of useful tips for most of my travels.

I am planning to travel to Sri Lanka on 19 Dec. 2012; we are a family of five, two adults and three kids (10, 8, and 2 years old).

I read a lot about the Horton Plains NP and I would like to ask about it.

Is it possible and worthwhile to visit the national parks with family and kids?, or looking for more family friendly destinations.

Thanks for helping us

Regards

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Horton Plains with Family and small kids

Horton Plains is walking - approx. 10 km, so maybe not so friendly for the kids. The main thing at Horton Plains is Worlds End. You should visit very early mornings before it gets misty.

Horton Plains is not really for seeing animals. For that Yala NP and/or Udawalawe NP (mainly elephants) are better.

Hans

Australia
reviews: 31
2. Re: Horton Plains with Family and small kids

Hi. We visited Horton Plains earlier this year. Here are a couple of thoughts. We had to leave our guest house at 5 am from Haputale. We used a tuktuk which obviously wouldnt work for you. YOu could hire a van but it was more expensive. We stayed at ABC guest house which i would highly recommend. Lovely family with kids 8 and 11 year old. They organised the trip for us. The guest house 'Mum' packed us sandwiches which believe me were great when we got there. It was very cold first thing so you would need a jacket but we made do with blankets from guest house. It took about two hours to get to the park. The 8 and 10 year olds would be fine with the walking as long as you, as a family were used to doing the odd walk of a couple of hours. The two year old would struggle unless you have some kind of back pack you could use. Some of the tracks are appaulingly eroded. The view from worlds end is amazing. There are no fences so you would need to be careful with the kids as it is a vertical drop down. Entrance to the park was very expensive. I think for 2 of us about US$50. I was extremely disappointed at the lack of evidence of any of this money actually going into maintenance of the park. btw the flora in park is remarkably like our landscape here in Australia (apart from the Rhododendrons and bamboo). weird in a country like SL.

Enjoy your trip.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Horton Plains with Family and small kids

Thanks a lot Hans and kmiatae

i really appreciate your replies.

Regards

4. Re: Horton Plains with Family and small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 14, 2013