We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

bournemouth
Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

Just wondering how many of those that have been before have had Typhiod and Hepatitis A jabs before going?

I know people are advised but also that people go without, have to make my mind up soon, 6 weeks to go!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
reviews: 111
1. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

never had a shot before going to the Maldives. And each time is the same - no shots...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 18
2. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

hep shots are in the "common sense" group for anyone, any place.

at the same time, i did not get any shots specifically for the maldives and see no reason why you would need them any more here than in your hometown.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 13
3. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

You need no vaccines at all to go to Maldives... I have never done it and of course I won't do it next summer

Liverpool
reviews: 5
4. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

can't remember exactly what we had, but basically Hep A, typhoid, tetanus etc....as spammie said the common sense ones.....

As mentioned above there are no compulsory vaccinations necessary (apart from yellow fever if travelling from an infected country).

In spite of any well meaning advice on here, I would personally recommend you check with your local health centre and go with what they advise.

Ian

Devizes, United...
reviews: 79
5. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

No shots.

More likely to get something bad in McDonalds

Chesterfield...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

sophbailey,

Just a personal opinion, but why take the risk?

Before we travel, I check out the recommended vaccinations, etc., online then call our surgery. The nurse advises what is necessary and we go in and get protected. It doesn't take much time and I prefer to feel that we have looked after our health the best that we can. And it's (mostly) free.

Abbi x

Edited: 3:23 pm, May 23, 2010
manchester
reviews: 25
7. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

I agree with Abbi. Why take the risk. The vaccinations recommended for the Maldives are free and you are covered with Typhoid for 3 years and hep A for up to 25 years if you have booster. I couldnt forgive myself if someone in my family get ill with something so preventable. At the end of the day, these can kill you. In my opinion, its a no brainer.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

Hi

There are no mandatory shots but the recommended ones are the same as for any holiday to foreign parts: Polio, tetanus, hepatitis A and typhoid.

Everyone's health situation is different and the best advice I can give you is to visit either your GP or Practice Nurse as they are best placed to give you the relevant medical advice.

OD

Ipswich, United...
9. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

I am with the better to be safe than sorry camp. We had ours done before going for the first time (most shots last many years) Go see your practice nurse, all the shots should be free, so why take a chance.

Newcastle upon Tyne...
reviews: 42
10. Re: Who has travelled to the Maldives and had vaccinations?

I used to be a practice nurse and i always go with the better safe than sorry atitude. No reason to think that you'll get something nasty in the Maldives however why take that risk when all it takes is a 15 min appt with your practice nurse and a couple of injections (most are combined these days so Hepatitis will be given with typhoid etc etc.and if you decide to travel to other parts of the world where vaccinations are reccommended then you're already covered.If you only have 6 weeks then make that appointment asap.

safe and happy hols. Will wave to you as we arrive in 8 weeks time.