We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

Newcastle upon Tyne...
reviews: 42
help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

i have tried every type of sun cream on the market even the hypo allergenic ones and still somehow manage to come out in a bright red horrible rash every time we travel, sometimes even if I sit in the shade.I shower 3 or 4 times a day when its hot and take antihistamines on a daily basis.Does anyone have any ideas on any other sun screen which may be of any use?? Kuramathi is my idea of heaven and i don't want my precious 2 weeks spoiled by 'lobster 'rash. i really don't mind NOT getting a tan, pale is fine

just want to avoid the rash.

Thanks all

h

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
reviews: 2
11. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

Personally given your history of problems on holiday, a visit to your GP may be worth doing for sure ....

...........AG

Newcastle upon Tyne...
reviews: 42
12. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

Sue, thanks for yet another good idea.Newcastle is full of places like Holland and Barrett so will try and get my hands on some Aloe sunscreen.

Also like the idea of the rash vest,anything that sucks the bits in that didn't ought to be there in the first place is fine by me however just to boast a tad I've lost 2 stones for this trip to Kuramathi and am only 10lbs from target :)

Again my thanks to all

helen

hertfordshire
13. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

Hi

I also used to get prickly heat, I was told by a greek pharmacist ,years ago, to use a gel sunscreen as lotion can block your pores. It can be harder to find and more expensive but Lancaster do a 20spf water resistant gel at about £16 a tube. (john lewis) and i got a 30spf from presun (amazon). for about £14 with postage. You also should exfoliate before use to make sure that your pores are not blocked. Also I use Aloe vera gel aftersun as well. . It is worth trying before you go to make sure. There are other makes but you need to look for the words non-comedic on the bottle ( means non pore clogging)

Haven't had any prickle heat for years, hope this works for you too

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
reviews: 50
14. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

I have seen a few kids in the same situation and out of the dozen or so cases most seem to find Nivea works well. The others unfortunately the Nivea didn't work.

Might have the same effect on adults. Nivea maybe?

Liverpool
15. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

I used to have the same problem. The rash would start on my hands and feet and spread all over. I use Nivia invisable dry oil spray now as it doesnt block your pores. I've just got back from the Maldives and it worked for me. I didnt even need my antihistamines!

Aylesbury
reviews: 4
16. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

I always use suntan cream from greenpeople.co.uk

This is from their website:

Free from pore-clogging ingredients (which can cause prickly heat), PABA-sunscreen, Parabens, Phthalates and Artificial fragrances.

I've used it for the last couple of years including 2 trips to the Maldives - no prickly heat and no burning.

spain
reviews: 1
17. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

Hello my husband is allergic to the sun, we have been to kuramathi seven times. We have found a solution!!! About a week before start taking a tablet called cetirizine dihydrochlorine. He was given them by the doctor at Kuramathi last year for his allergic reaction so you can get them there. We stocked up at the airport pharmacy. vvv. cheap. They worked and his rash went in 24 hours!! This is after years of bumps and lumps. he uses Australian Gold spf 50 and although he didn´t go very brown he was able to walk around and swim without a reaction And no itching or drowsiness. Our holiday there this year was so much happier for him. It´s worth a try!!

18. Re: help...I'm allergic to sunscreen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi