We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shri Lankan Airlines

doncaster
reviews: 4
Shri Lankan Airlines

Any experiences of this airline? We travel out of Heathrow on April 3rd!! Cant wait!

London
reviews: 1
1. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

On the advice of Tripadvisor posters I registered with the airline's FlySmiles and booked my seats in advance. You can register online and once you have been given your membership number you can call their reservations number to pre-book your seats. If you go on their website you can see the seating plans for the A340 Airbus. Http://www.srilankan.aero/aboutus/fleet.shtml . I highly recommend this especially if you do want to make sure you sit with your partner and get the seats that you want. I sat in seat 10G (first row in the cabin - I think this has now been changed to Premium so you may have to pay extra to seat in this part of the cabin) outbound and inbound and it was perfect. If you are a couple, I would suggest seats 10A/10C or 10H/10K which are two seats together. Means you don’t have anybody else sitting next to you. Especially if you are a honeymoon couple!! You get additional legroom in row 10 which was a plus and you don't have the added inconvenience of someone in front of you lying back in their seat. If you are thinking about upgrading then that's a good idea if you want wider seats but I was fairly happy with the flight and I'm not sure that the extra you would pay would make the flight much more comfortable. You could save that money and spend it in the Maldives instead! There are only 18 seats in the business class cabin. If you get seats in the forward economy cabin ( I think they are now calling this premium economy) it’s generally quieter as there are fewer seats in this section compared to the rest of the economy section. On the flight out service was perfect, food good although in my opinion the film choices were not great. For some reason on the way back home the flight attendants were not as attentive as the previous ones. In fact they were quite miserable and not friendly at all. Yes, I know, it may have something to do with leaving paradise and going back to reality that made me feel this way but seriously there was definitely a different level of service on the return flight. The aircraft interior is a bit tired looking but all in all I was pleasantly surprised with the service.

Swanwick, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

We booked our seats online, but be careful because the site will try to bamboozle you!

We first booked online 21A and 21C which are incidently next to each other as no B? or row 13 for your info.

When we arrived at airport all was verbally confirmed and then we noticed we had been allocated 21A and 32D!!?

To cut a long story short we paid £50 each to upgrade to premium so we could sit together even though we were second in the queue when check in opened. They informed us that there were no seats left together!?

On the return leg checked in online had the usual problems with check in system but ended up back in premium at no extra cost. see below.

Online check in tip: only give as much info as required, would not take any of our 3 email addresses but ok when left blank.

Your phone number needs to be one less number than their example so leave out the zero.

When putting in your DOB you need to type in month ie: Feb, Apr,Sep (read small print for format)

Good luck and take a vallium! the rest of the journey was fine, it's just getting on the plane!

Oh no and off, almost forgot they did not unlock the connecting walk way from plane to terminal when landing back in UK so had to shout back over 300 people to get crew to come open the door!

T23

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 36
3. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

We fly the week after you - 11th April. I registered with FlySmiles and phoned the number on the website to get the membership numbers put on our booking and get seats allocated. We were given 11H/K on the way out - we could have had row 10 in the middle 4, but prefer jus tthe two of us on the window - and row 10 on the way back, but it did cost us £50 each per sector. They were sold to me on the basis that they had extra leg room as my OH is 6'3", I still have to be convinced of this because it sounds like it is just a standard economy cabin.....we'll see.

The woman I spoke to also said we had a total of 30kgs luggage allowance as well when I asked about taking dive gear. I assume this includes up to 5kg of hand luggage and will keep our dive cards out for check-in in case there are any issues.

Good luck!

Swanwick, United...
4. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

I think premium economy is worth it especially for us who booked online and only paid £50 each for return. This also happened to another couple staying at the same resort as us. You do get slightly better seat pitch and get off the plane before economy and also get meals and drinks before the others.

doncaster
reviews: 4
5. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

Thankyou all very much for the informative replies!! 3 weeks today!! Cant wait!

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

I've registered with Smiles, how soon can you book before you depart? (we go in Nov). We were told by our travel rep we would be sent an airline reservation number a couple of weeks before departure and could choose our seats then. However most other scheduled airlines we have used let you book well in advance and would hate to miss out by leaving too late. Did Sril Lankan have details of passenger names already as I only have a Kuoni booking ref, no airline ref number .

Thanks

John

Notts UK
reviews: 2
7. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

We registered with Flysmiles to pre-book seats by phone on Sri Lankan last August. It worked fine on the outward journey but on the return something went wrong. At check in they said they had no knowledge of our seat reservations and as the flight was full (coming from Colombo first) my partner and I had to sit apart. If you do book seats I would recommend that you get them to send you an email to confirm. I was not impressed by Sri Lankan at all, the food was nice but old creaky plane, dodgy entertainment system and the mess of the return journey makes me hesitant to use them again.

Swanwick, United...
8. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

Its 48 hours before the flight.

As snowlady says we also had a problem printing our boarding pass on outward leg and then when we got to airport we were seperated re: my post above so upgraded.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 36
9. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

We booked our seats about 6-7 weeks before departure, but we didn't book via Kuoni, so I had the Sri Lankan booking reference. I think Kuoni block book seats and only release passenger details to the airline closer to departure.

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 30
10. Re: Shri Lankan Airlines

Thanks for the info, may give them a ring.

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi