We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - Legian

Which Legian hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 9
JBR - Legian

We are a late 30’/40’s couple travelling with out 17 month old baby. We had fallen in love with Sanur and thought we would only ever stay there but decided that we would split our trip this time because we had two weeks, Legian, Ubud, Sanur.

We stayed at the Ananta and this was in such a good spot, The rooms were very small, but the place is new and clean and there was free wifi in the rooms. The pool was freezing and that was because it never gets much sun, due to the rooms towering on each side. We paid $85p/n and for that price it was fine. Breakfast was ok but other than the made to order eggs, the hot breakfast was cold to luke warm, every single day and we were the first customers at 6.30am every morning.

Restaurants

We had some lovely meals in Legian and there were so many more restaurants we just never got to try. Sangria was nice but the portions a bit on the small side, Warung Asia was good too and Marzano was really delicious. Yummy pizza and the best pannacotta, not too sweet. All these were just near out hotel. We had a beautiful meal at Hitana and loved the view. My favourite meal in the world is chilli mudcrabs and in Darwin, we cook fresh caught mudcrabs in a tomato, garlic, lemongrass and chilli sauce that is thick and sensational. Unfortunately, I have never found a chilli crab that compares in Bali. I did try the chilli crab in Indonational and it was ok but the sauce was watery but for the price I would go there again. (Also tried chilli crab in Sanur but again only ok). If anyone knows where I can go for a really good chilli crab, please share.

We only had one ordinary meal in Bali on this trip and it was at Ours on Garlic lane. I don’t remember if it was the nasi campur or another chicken curry but I just remember the bistro style curry powder flavourless dish and the other items ordered were very average. Oh well, we went back to Marzano for their pannacotta.

The best meal we had in the legian section of our stay was at Biku in Seminyak. We went there for lunch and had the Asian high tea. It was very good and I loved the marsala chai. I saw so many amazing looking dishes coming out of the kitchen that we went back again for lunch, nasi campur and something equally delicious that hubby ordered. Sensational and such an interesting looking place. I didn’t do the tarot reading as you have to book but it was 80,000 for 15mins.

Massages

I love my massages and tried the santai spa. It was lovely, and I liked the little extras like a foot wash and tea but they are so busy you just cant walk in off the street. 80,000 for 1 hr so it was only slightly more expensive than the cheapies. I don’t like to have to plan my day too much as we just go with the flow so I had most of my massages at Briella and other cheapies near the hotel. All massages were good.

Shopping

We did the fixed price shops in Legian, Ketuts, debbie’s across the lane and Santas. Got some basics for my husband and presents for the kids. I didn’t see much I liked for myself though. I also noticed there were not many choices for mens shorts in the thicker material but we did find a few pairs. They need to get some new styles made. We also went to Dianne’s and Jennys in Tuban in a taxi when we were heading to discovery later. I found the prices varied between all the fixed price shops but not by more than a dollar or two. They also had slight variations in stock.

I wanted a leather bag made and since I didn’t have a picture with me, I looked around the leather makers to see if I could find something either ready made or close to what I want. I ended up going back to Tommy’s leather as they had a very simple bag already made that was very close to what I wanted. I asked for pretty much that exact bag but in a darker brown leather, with slightly larger dart type folds at the top. The ready made bags only come with one zippered pocket and one slip in pocket for the mobile. I wanted another pocket next to the phone bit for my keys and lip gloss etc. I hate having to search around in my hand bag. I picked up the bag a week later and I was very happy. It’s a very simple classic style and when I first went into the shop, they had about 5 of that style for sale and when I picked my custom made one up, all the others had sold. They must be doing very well in that shop. It was 750,000. I do wish Tommys would use a nice patterned material inside, instead of the plain cream colour as I think the inside of the bag should be just as pretty. I also got two very small leather key card wallets made and the best price we got was at the leather maker near Miss Debbies down the lane across from Ketuts. The little wallets were so well made and much better than the sample we had left to get copied. 150000rp for both. This is what my husband carries around as he doesn’t like bulky wallets and I keep mine in my handbag to keep those endless cards in one place. This guys also made them in 2 days.

We also shopped at Krisna and bought lots of trinklets as gifts and I love those tacky wooden bali thongs and they were 7500rp for a packet of 5. Things were quite cheap here and I managed to find a few pressies and bought my daughter some lovely little summer dresses for about 22500rp each. We also did the trip to Carrefour to get some essentials. Krisna and Carrefour are on the same rd and we walked from Krisna to Carrefour. It wasn’t far but I would recommend a taxi. I don’t carry around a hand bag out in Bali and got caught out in the toilets at Carrefour without paper or tissues. I thought I would give the water hose thing a try and it was so fast that I got water everywhere. That hose has some pressure in it. Lucky I had on one of those bali dresses and it didn’t show water marks to much. So far all the toilets I had used had toilet paper so I got complacent. Never again.

Hair cut

I needed a hair cut and tried Jonny Andrean at discovery. I have a short choppy style and wanted the bottom part shorter and a bit of an all over trim but very textured. A girl washed my hair which is always nice, then I sat down with the hairdresser. She didn’t understand when I explained how they normally cut my hair like sort of cutting out triangular chunks. I ended up showing her with some scissors and she said she had never cut hair like that before but after I assured her this was how I always had it done, she gave it a go. The lady was really good at taking direction and didn’t make me feel like she was put out by being told what to do. I often find some hairdressers in Australia don’t cut my hair chunky enough and it all looks way to neat no matter how much I say I want it really chopped into. The lady also redid the bottom part that I wanted a bit shorter and always with a smile. After the hair cut she even got the girl to rinse my hair again to wash out all the bits of hair. I was so happy with my hair cut and the extra washing and the price which was 65000. I gave the hairdresser the change as a tip for actually listening to me and giving it a go. She seemed very happy. I often see places offer haircuts at 40000 and now I’m more willing to get a hair cut everytime I’m in bali.

I now love Legian and we will be including it in our trip next year. We were close to the beach, near great restaurants and shopping and massages. We had stayed in Legian a few years back but it was near the Kuta side, but this part of Legian, near Seminyak, was prefect. Not too busy, and it was easy to pop in and out of the hotel. You really get a different view of a place when you stay there rather than just passing through. Knowing we definitely wanted to stay in Legian on our next trip with the older kids, we went to look for either a 2 bedroom or an adjoining room set up. We looked at the Kumala Pantai and that seemed very nice. We also looked at the Jayakarta but the 2 bedroom apartments felt a bit dark and dingy. I also got my eyebrows waxed by the lady near reception at the Jayakarta and she was terrible. We had plans to check out more 2bed accommodation options but the time got away from us and it was time to head to Ubud. I’m so glad we split up our holiday.

Australind
reviews: 13
1. Re: JBR - Legian

Know exactly what you mean re this end of Legian. We have stayed at the Kumala Pantai a couple of times (going back next year). Thanks for sharing :)

Cabarita Beach...
reviews: 23
2. Re: JBR - Legian

Really enjoyed reading your report, thanks for sharing. We love to move around & stay in different areas as well - it makes the holiday feel a whole lot longer! I look forward to hearing about your trips to Ubud & Sanur.

Cheers, Nelly

Geelong, Australia
reviews: 42
3. Re: JBR - Legian

Thanks for sharing - a great read...looking forward to your Ubud chapter:)

Gold Coast
reviews: 100
4. Re: JBR - Legian

Thanks for your jbr. I had a bit of a giggle about your hose story. I love Legian but I'm looking forward to seeing Sanur next year. Tanks for sharing.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 19
5. Re: JBR - Legian

Thanks Micaroo I'm looking forward to hearing about ubud & sanur :)

australia
reviews: 21
6. Re: JBR - Legian

Where is Dianne’s and Jennys in Tuban please?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 8
7. Re: JBR - Legian

Great read thanks very much...look forward to ubud part...we.re staying there for first time in January.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 6
8. Re: JBR - Legian

Great read.

I really enjoyed this end of Legian as well when we stayed at the KP in March. We are heading back over in late January for our friend's 50th and after much research we have booked the KP again for part of our trip. I suppose you could look at the Ambassador suite.

Alternatively you could look at some villas around that area.

Looking forward to your next JBR

Cheers Lee

Gosford, Australia
reviews: 2
9. Re: JBR - Legian

If my memory serves me well Diannes and Jenny's are across the road from Dynasty Hotel

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
10. Re: JBR - Legian

Micaroo, thanks I really enjoyed reading your JBR.

We just did the reverse to you. We always love Legian and decided to also try Sanur and have now fallen in love with Sanur. We still love Legian and will return to both next time.

We have stayed at Kumala Pantai 4 times now and have always enjoyed our stay there. My teens love the hotel and the area. I would love to hear where you stayed in Sanur.

Look forward to more :)

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Legian