We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

towson apartments

Which Towson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
reviews: 1
towson apartments

My son will be a graduate student at Towson University in August. He has been looking online at apartments that are close to the school and received good reviews. His first choice is Stevenson Lane and second choice Hampton Plaza. This is the first time he will experience being a tenant. I am doing some brainstorming (I am a widow and this is my only child) about how to find out if there have been any formal complaints against these and/or other apartments. My first thought is to find out what governmental entity oversees the apartments-maybe Board of Health. I would appreciate anybody that has input about these apartments and what entity in Towson I could contact to inquire about complaints.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Karen

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
1. Re: towson apartments

The apartments on Stevenson Lane are mostly private owners who rent to students while Hampton Plaza is an apartment complex. For more reviews check this site: apartmentratings.com/rate/MD-Towson-Hampton-…

As for private rentals Baltimore County regulates them and this web site might help:

baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/…index.html

Either way I have know students that have lived in Hampton Plaza and a private rental and had a good experience.

boston
2. Re: towson apartments

Thank you for your reply. My son likes the location of Hampton Plaza, but I just found out the management company for Hampton Plaza is Wallace Campbell. The reviews on the internet were awful. I don't know how important this is -if he would ever had to deal with them. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Karen

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
3. Re: towson apartments

As an attorney who only represents tenants, I don't know of any landlord that isn't difficult to work with when there is a problem. Private landlords tend to either go overboard to make sure stuff is ok or are worse than a professionally run management company.

Also, you have to figure that only people with a grudge write stuff. The many more satisfied customers never leave a note.

Best suggestion is to interview the private owners, get the names of former tenants and ask questions, look at each place critically, understand that it will be a dorm for all intents and purposes and make your most informed decision.

I would not rent sight unseen. He should make a trip to view the various units in person before signing any lease. Good luck

boston
4. Re: towson apartments

I greatly appreciate your reply. We are not dealing with a private owner or landlord. Hamtpon Plaza is an apartment complex run by a management company, Wallace H. Campbell which had three TERRIBLE reviews when I googled them. I agree that people with good experiences tend not to write reviews and I don't know how much stock to put into the negative reviews I read. I don't know if and under what circumstances my son would have to communicate with the management company. I am concerned because My son, unlike myself, is quiet and not assertive.

Thanks again for your input. (I was a legal secretary for many years)

Karen

5. Re: towson apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Towson