We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

Which Greensboro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

Looking for a place for my husband and I to stop overnight on our trip back to DC...something interesting ; outdoors or cultural..any ideas?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

Whenever I go from Greensboro to DC, I take 29 through Virginia. It's a pretty drive with some wineries and B&Bs. Monticello is in Charlottesville, and definitely worth a stop.

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
2. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

That sounds nice shanklemsw. I was thinking 85 to 95 since I'm in the Triangle instead of the Triad, but I'm sure 29 would be a much better route (pretty much anything would be once you get on 95).

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
3. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

Now, panchopup, you know we share the disdain for 95! The. Worst.

My folks live in G'boro (and I will too next week) and I lived in DC for a long time. 29 is a little slower, but so much more pleasant. I did that drive a lot. Take 29 to 66 into DC. Get a DD so you can stop at the wine places ;)

Chapel Hill, North...
4. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

Well, it's true about 95! Especially around DC. The 85 part wouldn't be so bad, though.

My sister lives in Fairfax Co, so when we go we do the 85 to 95 route, but 29 does sound nice. Might have to try going thru the country sometime instead.

Greensboro, NC
reviews: 2
5. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

We have done the drive a dozen times, and never even considered 85-95. It's 29 for us!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
6. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

The worst part about that trip is from Richmond to DC. Ugh. 66 going in is not nearly as awful. If you do it, let me know what you think. Stop by Thomas Jefferson's house on the way.

Chapel Hill, North...
7. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

If you're going to make two days out of it I think the 29 route is the obvious choice from Elon, with a stopover in Charlottesville or thereabouts.

From the Chapel Hill/Durham area, it's not so obvious, though. I can make it in about 4.5 hrs if the traffic is moving on 85 and 95. Google maps gives me 6hrs for the 29 route, so 1.5hrs slower for that route from my house.

From Elon, though, the google maps difference is about 30 minutes for 29 vs the interstates. I'd take the extra 30 minutes on 29 most days of the week.

Edited: 10:13 pm, August 21, 2012
8. Re: going from Elon to Washington DC this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 23, 2013