We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Opuwo to Epupa?

New York
reviews: 40
Road from Opuwo to Epupa?

Hello again,

A friend and i have rented a Condor and are going to be taking in part of the northwest. Our plan is to spend one night in the Waterberg, then head to Opuwo using the tar road. From there, we were told by our rental company that we could drive to Epupa as well. I wondered if anyone has been this way recently, and can advise on road conditions. My friend has a lot of experience in off road and gravel road driving but we were a bit concerned about going through river beds if there had been a lot of rain. Also looking for a recommendation about a local guide that we could hire to facilitate a visit to a village and any tour guides that are 4x4 hires to get an idea of some of the other roads in this area.

Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
reviews: 9
1. Re: Road from Opuwo to Epupa?

Depending on when you are going it will be fine.

It is gravel from Opuwo up to Epupa and it is in pretty good condition.

You have a lot of dips in the road, so just watch out as if there is a lot of rain they have water in and it can be deeper than it looks and there is a lot of livestock all the way by the road. If you stay on the C43 main gravel road you will be fine.

I wouldn't recommend going off the main roads into the far northwest unless you are in a convoy of at least one more vehicle as it is very easy to get lost. There are very few landmarks. Kunene Tours do excellent guided trips up there if that is your interest.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

New York
reviews: 40
2. Re: Road from Opuwo to Epupa?

Thank you!

Just as a recap, we were in Epupa over the weekend. Just beat the rains there and back. It was drizzling a bit for part of the drive back. The road there was a bit gravel-ly but other than that, was ok. I can see where, after heavy rains, the rivers could rise and cause a few issues, and water collection in the many, many, many dips. During the dry weather that we had, we were ok. The falls were ... falling :) Angola has had quite a bit of rain and the camp we stayed at told us the river was pretty high. So lots of falling water.

Reply to: Road from Opuwo to Epupa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaokoland