We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday mass in Kilifi

Which Kilifi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
reviews: 40
Sunday mass in Kilifi

Dear All,

We would like to attend a Sunday mass in Kilifi while on holiday.

We would like to know the location of the christian church/chapel, best way to get there and mass times.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Andy

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
1. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Hi,

I don't know but am posting this as a 'bump' to move you back onto the first page, so that hopefully someone like Marym062 will spot it

As you say Mass you are presumably looking for a Catholic Church, they tend to be more formal than the many flavours of Protestantism. I presume Kilifi is like everywhere else in Kenya and has more Protestant churches' than you can shake a stick at, as well as the formal buildings, dozens spring up every Sunday in informal rooms, shacks, huts, etc if they haven't got power they improvise and 'borrow' a supply to power their amplifiers, like Spinal Tap, turned up to 11. Here in Mtwapa just down the coast they start around 8 am and by 10 as the services last for 3 or 4 it builds to a cacophony.

However, there is only one Catholic Church here and it is a more formal substantial building and attracts a very large congregation on a Sunday morning. I would assume Kilifi is similar.

Maidstone, United...
2. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Thank you very much Doffcocker for your advice.

I managed to locate a catholic church in Kilifi along Bofa Road. However they do not have any contact details. I presume their mass would take place on Sunday morning.

Hopefully I get more info at the hotel:)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
3. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

The Catholic Church has several Mass services on a Sunday. One will be is Swahilli and the other in English. What hotel are you staying at?

Maidstone, United...
4. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We are staying at Mnarani Club Hotel.

We are trying to learn some Swahili frazes:), but it is early days so would prefer a mass in English.

Regards,

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
5. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

The manager at Mnarani Club will be able to help you. Ask him when you check in. Also the staff would know. It is a lovely church surrounded by huge Boab Boab trees.

Maidstone, United...
6. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Thank you, Roadwarrior :)

Manchester, United...
reviews: 71
7. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Road Warrior has given you the details, there are two masses, one in English but we prefer to go to the swahili one as the choir is great, the Catholic Church is just off Bofa Rd, after coming over the bridge take a right at Tusky's and then turn left at junction where Orange shop is and make an immediate left up the street behind the Bus Station, the church is on the right up there, just follow the very smartly dressed people and you will get such a warm welcome. Don't worry about it starting on time, 20 mins later and you may still be waiting, double check but think Mass is about 9.30am.

Be warned the priest can give a great sermon with plenty of shouting !!

Maidstone, United...
8. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Thank you very much, Marym062.

Is the 9:30am mass in English or Swahili?

We are looking forward to experiencing it.

Kind regards,

Fallen on Hard Times
reviews: 2
9. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Biki17 - this site might be of interest to you?

scribd.com/doc/131802244/Kiswahili-Grammar-M…

We stayed at Mnarani Club many times. At Sunday lunch times a local church choir would sing in the restaurant area. They sang in English, Kiswahili and the local Giriama language and very entertaining it was too. The hotel shop assistant, Grace, was a member of the choir. I don't know if she still works there.

(Thank God I'm an Atheist)

Edited: 4:09 pm, May 24, 2013
Maidstone, United...
10. Re: Sunday mass in Kilifi

Many thanks for your advice:)

Kind regards,

Get answers to your questions about Kilifi
Recent Conversations