We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Era in the Smokies, Gatlinburg TN "Dont stay in a ERA Cabin"

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springville, Alabama
reviews: 29
Era in the Smokies, Gatlinburg TN "Dont stay in a ERA Cabin"

We booked our cabin for our wedding ceremony with ERA in the smokies about a month before our stay in October 2012. The cabin we stayed at was "On The Rocks"and we were told this was a handicap accessible cabin and secluded . When we booked our reservation we booked for 5 nights and payed 1/2 of the cost of the cabin. Thinking we had everything reserved and now can look forward to our wedding we get a call the next day telling us that the cabin we reserved was not available for the 5 days we had paid for. This also put the coupon they offered for a stay of 4 nights get one free as void. We had already sent out the invitations for our wedding with this address to the cabin and we were very upset when ERA suggested we change cabins. Guest were coming to attend our wedding from many states and this was beyond upsetting, for there practice of reserving a cabin when it was already booked and unavailable.

We settled with only staying 4 nights at the full cost, so our guest would not be confused and very inconvenienced about the location of our wedding. We get to the cabin we are in shock that the cabin is right next to another and is down a narrow lane with numerous cabins within 100 yards. The main concern was the cabin was not handicap accessible, the bedrooms and full bath with tub and shower were down a very steep and narrow staircase that are on a slant downwards, therefore making anyone who is handicap and even those who were not, nearly impossible to navigate.

We called the ERA office immediately about our concerns since I would have to sleep on the couch, for I could not safely go down these steps. I was told by the owner (Larry) he could move us to another cabin 8-10 miles away that would have bedrooms on the first floor. We said that was not a solution since we had guest arriving for our wedding the next day from out of state. The owner (Larry) PROMISED he would make a remedy by the time we checked out if not sooner. We did not hear from him after the original conversation. I had to dress on the back porch for I was unable to make it down the stairs to dress for the wedding. Having my maid of honor hold up blankets so I would have some privacy, this was humiliating to say the least.

When we went to check out at the office we were told there was no notes of any problems with our rental, by this time I was spent an wanted to get home and ERA promised to get in touch with us at are home the next day. We never heard a thing, numerous calls to the office were made and call backs were promised and never made by them. Finally after being home for 2 weeks we were told that Larry made a note on our file that it was taken care of and that no refunds or adjustments were to be made that he told us that from the first conversation that we had. This is a complete fabrication on his part and we asked that he call us to rectify this matter. To be told one thing and totally blew off by the office let alone the owner says much about this company.

We will not recommend this company to anyone for they double talk and dishonesty. Beware when you see a price on there website for a cabin that is not the real price you will pay per night for the cabin, it says that you have to call the office to reserve and when you mention the price online you are told that there system and the one at the office are not consistent with each other and the price you pay when you call is much more. This is not including the reservation fee of $45 that must be paid to do business with them, yes this is stated on the website but the cost difference with a business should match what is online and there office computers. Again we will never stay with them again as we had planned on each year of our anniversary.

Illinois
reviews: 43
1. Re: Era in the Smokies, Gatlinburg TN "Dont stay in a ERA Cabin"

Sorry to hear your stay was much less than what you expected.

The following comments are directed toward other people expecting something close to what you were expecting:

VERY few cabins in the area are what any of us would consider "secluded." Those cabins that are are truly secluded are usually pretty far from town and have issues with break-ins and maintenance. The land cost in the area prevents someone from buying large tracks of land to build ONE cabin.

In my 35 years of going to Gburg, I've never seen a cabin that is "handicap accessible." I'm sure there must be a few but they would have to be on flat ground and if you've ever been to Gburg then you have to be aware that flt ground basically does not exist there. Sure there are a few cabins in some valleys on flat ground, but the overwhelming percentage of cabins are located n the mountains and nearly all of them have multiple floors. Stairs are not conducive to being "handicap accessible."

Please people -- when you are planning on booking a cabin, ask specfically for the name of the cabin and a link to read user reviews. A cabin that doesn't have user reviews -- Stay away from that place!

Deb maybe when you return for your aniversary that trip will be much better.

2. Re: Era in the Smokies, Gatlinburg TN "Dont stay in a ERA Cabin"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 26, 2013