We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cottage Hills...
reviews: 3
Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

We are planning a visit to GB. in March.

Just wondering how will the traffic be compared to April/May, when things begin to come alive.

Tnanks

Bowling Green...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

You shouldn't have to worry at all about traffic in March.

But, some things may be closed or close early.

Cottage Hills...
2. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

powcat: We will be there the week of the 6th in March. Hope the traffic is light and friendly, as I do not do well with a snarl in the highways.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 67
3. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

Weekdays shouldn't be any problem at all for traffic. Friday and Saturday nights can get pretty congested in GB and PF any time of the year, however. Just plan accordingly.

Cottage Hills...
4. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

kat-cubs-fan: We plan to drive up from Chatt. on Mon the 6th, and lv. on Fri. the 10th, so weekend is not in the planning.

Have noticed though the weather seems to be mixed this time of the year.

Have been to GB many times over the years, mostly during the winter months, as we like to visit the higher elevations where there is he possibility of snow.

Guess we will miss the traffic snarl, and that is OK with this driver.

Thanks for the friendly replies.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

Whereabouts do you live, since your driving up from Chattanooga?

As you can see from my profile, I sorta live in Chickamauga, but actually live in an area about 10 miles south of there called Kinsington or Cedar Grove. I'm actually closer to Lafayette, GA than Chickamauga, but Chickamauga is my mailing address.

Back to Gatlinburg, we just came back from a trip just before the holidays. We spent three days there and, while it was not dead by any means, there weren't huge crowds or traffic problems then either. We went during the week as well.

Don't know if there will be any snow up there when you get there or not, but it sure is pretty. Best place to find it is up at Newfound Gap.

Cades Cove shouldn't be any problem for traffic either during that time.

Cottage Hills...
6. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

We will be driving up from near New Orleans. We actually live in Metairie, La., which is about 8 miles west as the crow flies.

We will drive the first day and stop over in Chatt. Then on to GB the next morning.

Plan on staying near Maryville, to tour the area before actually reaching GB on into the week.

Weather reports indicate there is rain predicted for some of this week. Will keep track of it.

Thanks for the quick response.

Greeneville, TN
7. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

mrkeen I can't remember the last time I went to GB and there wasn't bad traffic. Now, I don't want to confuse you here but, if you would come in through Newport, TN and Cosby area, you will miss ALL the traffic. It goes straight into GB from the opposite side. Everybody comes in through Piegon Forge. Look it up on the map if your interested in maybe going that route. If you need any help, we'll get in touch with each other through email.

Cottage Hills...
8. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

bmh7896: We came through GB last May from Ahseville NC. Had not been to GB since 96, which is the date of the state map I have. We were in traffic the whole time we were there. Also could not help but notice how the area between GB and Sevierville has grown with additional traffic etc.

Newport is east of I40. From what I am able to determine on this map, I have to exit on TN 32 south to US 321 which would bring me through Cosby and Pittman Center on the way to GB.

I am not sure according to this map, if the Foothills Pkwy. connects with US 321 north of Cosby.

Actually we plan on visiting some of the other small towns up there like the Jonesborough area.

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to visiting the area.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
9. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

Foothills Pkwy does connect to the I-40 on the north/west end, but I think it has been closed for a while now. Weather may have something to do with that, but I seem to remember it was closed even before the bad weather for some other reason.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Is Gatlinburg busy in March?

Obviously, there's going to be some traffic in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg almost any time of year. I simply meant the traffic won't be as bad as it is in the summer months or during October.

The time to really avoid the main roads is Friday and Saturday nights. During March, these will be the heaviest traffic times.

Also, many Tennessee schools are taking spring break the week of March 20th, so expect lots more traffic for spring break crowds that week.