We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Worth, Florida
reviews: 1
First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Hello...We're thinking of staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and I was wondering if there are any cabins fairly low on the ground? I'm a big chicken when it comes to heights so I really need something that is easy to get to and isn't on a big incline. I'm used to my flat Florida Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what are the roads like once I get to Tennessee? Are there big hills to drive on (on the main parkway?)

Germantown...
reviews: 6
1. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

The main pky is flat in Pigeon.Forge & Gatlinburg. Here's a site with lots of rental companies in the area:

http://www.gatlinburg.com/lodging/

Waynesville, Georgia
reviews: 21
2. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Cindermom,

If you go over the Gap from Cherokee to Gatlinburg you are going to run into some pretty scary terrain. I suggest that you take I-75 through Georgia and come in through the Chatanooga route. If you are on the Gulf coast of Fla, this would be the closet route anyway. Hope this helps, Shannon

Boston...
reviews: 48
3. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Not driving on mountain roads will seriously inhibit your ability to enjoy this region.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 196
4. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

agreed-- you really need to drive the mountain roads. Honestly? they are not "scary" at all-- you won't find steep drops imo. Lots of curves perhaps, but it isn't as if you're traveling a break neck speeds. It's beautiful-- and totally not scary. (and I am terrified of heights)

Boston...
reviews: 48
5. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

[Note that we're speaking about the main roads. Backroads like those to ridgetop cabins and a few unpaved roads in the national park aren't to be laughed at if you've got a serious fear of heights problem.]

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 196
6. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

good point-- sorry-- should've made that clarification. Thanks Blue.

Lansing, Illinois
reviews: 83
7. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Try Eagles Ridge Resort in Pigeon Forge. It is just behind the Parkway off of Wears Valley Road. The cabins are a little older than some newer resorts, but they are nice and the resort is kept looking good. The roads gently slope to the various cabins. I didn't find any really steep climbs there. I took someone who is afraid of the mountain roads and she was very comfortable there. The disadvantage of course is that you don't really have great views. www.eaglesridge.com

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 23
8. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

This is just my initial thought.....if you're scared of traveling on high roads, isn't that what everybody comes to the smokies for?

Lake Worth, Florida
reviews: 1
9. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

Not in my case. I'm just trying to compromise so my husband doesn't have to vacation in Florida once again.

I'm not saying I won't try to go on some roads. I just have this big fear of roads with big drop offs.

I appreciate everyone's replies!

10. Re: First trip to Tennessee - need cabin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 29, 2010